Question About Humidifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Would a humidifier help me in the Winter?

I dont want to accidentally shock my computer or any of the external devices. I always touch my case before I go into it, and not try to cause friction with any body part. I think it would help add liquid into the air, when the outside air is so dry..

(If this is in the wrong section, please move it)

No, you always have the chance of shocking a computer component when working with them. Whether you live in the desert where it is extremely dry, or in the midwest were it is very humid.

Your best bet would be to just properly ground yourself with a static guard wrist band, standing on an eletrostatic mat, or just trounding yourself to your computer before touching any electronic components.

I'm afraid if you got a humidifier you would have a false sense of security and not follow the proper steps when dealing with your computer (listed above).

If you just want to cut down the occurrences of shocking yourself on light switches, door handles, etc., then yes a humidifier will help. I moved into my apartment 2 years ago in the middle of winter. Brand new carpet + winter = bad shocking situation. I bought a humidifier and that helped so much! Just heed what Lex said and don't stop practicing PC precautions.

Thanks all. Yeah, I don't use static wrist bands. I do have a electrostatic mat that i use a lot.

I would love to get a humidifier, just to get rid of the stuffiness in my room. Would help so much. I read around that it helps get rid of dust and viruses.

Move to the South. 80% humidity or more most any given day, summer or winter. ;)

Finding a house, no problem (you're on your own for the payment).

Finding a job? Ha! I wish I could find one... At least the cost of living is fairly cheap around here.

ROFL. I'd be staying here, though. Have too many personal problems. I'm sure you understand :wink:

edit: Don't you have to worry about tornadoes, though?

Some. I'm in the Tennessee Valley, so we're semi-protected from most really bad weather. I'm about 30 miles NE of Chattanooga.

Even during the winter it is pretty dry (compared to the summer). I'm from St. Louis and now like in Kansas City and it is rediculously humid during the summer.

You know it is humid when it is only 90 degrees out and you start sweating the minute you walk outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom