Building my first gaming PC. Suggestions Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I think I will switch to that hard drive you listed, Antec-User. I'll also look into that power supply you mentioned, aliasaid. The only reason I wanted to go with Corsair is because, from what I've read, they sound like a pretty reliable company. I also think I'm just going to drop the CPU cooler altogether for now and see how well the stock cooler holds out. I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon, so I hope the stock cooler is decent.

Ok, so here's the set up I have now.

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard: Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Video Card: Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Optical Drive: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Power Supply: Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VH202T Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 18000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Wifi Card: Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-G300LX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 2 dBi Antenna - Wireless Adapters

Changed the majority of things lol. Switched out the ASUS MOBO for this EVGA, because I have read quite a few bad reviews about the P6t SE (16% 1 egg rating....). Any ideas on this particular EVGA board?

Oh boy....the more I look into this the more and more doubts I am having. :dead: Now I'm considering scrapping the whole core i7 idea, and switching up to the phenom ii x4. It would seem that any decent core i7 motheboard is going to run at least $269, and that kind of gimps everything else due to my price range. I am starting to wonder if I can get close to the same system but much cheaper with AMD.

*edit*
Thanks BTW, aliasaid. I will switch to that hard drive regardless of what system I decide to go with. In fact, I plan on keeping a lot of the suggestions you guys made, just thinking of switching the MOBO and CPU...

Well if you just want it for gaming then it might be a good idea to switch the phenom II. The money you save there could be spent on a faster GPU, which will have a bigger increase in performance over the i7.

There's a nice combo right now for AMD
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Takes care of the RAM and mobo, and that mobo is very nice IMO, friend bought it.

Then with the money you save you could possibly squeeze in a 5850? I just Guesimated on prices though.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Otherwise a 4890 would be nice too
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom