QBasic's OUT function under Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Borg

Baseband Member
Greetings.

I am having problems using QBasic's [remember those times :)] OUT function. There is no output on my parallel port (LPT1). I'm running Windows XP and I tried the same thing on Windows 95 and it worked.

Any Suggestions?

Any help you can provide on this issue is appreciated.

From what i can tell, its all in the security paremeters

The best way to explain this, from what i can put together, is that windows 95 allowed real-mode access to hardware, meaning that it would let software have direct access to your hardware, bypassing OS and going through the kernel.

Windows XP, in the footsteps of NT, 98, ME and 2000, uses protected-mode drivers, which basically means that software has to address the Shell and the Kernel, and does not talk directly to the hardware. QBASIC would have had to have provisions to go through the print spooler in XP.

Basically, 95 is like a kid unsupervised turning the stove on(he has direct access to the stove). NT, 98(se), ME,2000 and XP, however, is like a parent saying, "Are you sure you want to turn on the stove? You could get burnt. "

Hope this explains roughly how it works. If not, then I'll try to explain it better

I understand what you're saying... but how can I counter it?
Some driver, file or Registry Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom