• b. yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

*PyRo*

In Runtime
Sims 2 wont let you install on a computer that has Cd Clone or Alcohol 120% as it says "CD/DVD emulator detected. Please disable".

Is this pushing the limits of how far a company can go to protect itself?

Well, to be honest this is totally legitimate. You have the right to make a backup copy of the media, but you don't have the right to emulate it. That has been a privaledge until now.
As companies go more and more towards CD/DVD protection you will see less options for not using the media. I suspect that it will take a few weeks before someone has cracked it, but then it becomes illegal.
Most likely, you can get around this by changing a simple .exe or reg key, but that isn't a garantee. Installers are getting more complicated and as they do they can do a more extensive search to find things they don't want you to use.
I'm all for a comany trying to protect it's assets by protecting it's software. Personally I just see it as a challenge. :)

BTW, your options don't make much sense to me. Are you saying that Yes, they are pushing the limit or no they are not? I'm for no they are not, but your options seem counter to that...

Well, first off, if you take care of your game CDs, you don't need to make backups. When yer toys break, don't come cry'n 'cause you didn't take care of them. :mad:

Second, the number of people who claim they are "just making backups" but are really just giving copies of the games to friends for free, is sickening! The people who work on making those games put a lot of hard work, creativity, and time, into making those games. Don't rob them of their justly-deserved pay! :mad:

Lastly, if you own the game, you shouldn't have any need to emulate the CD.

:mad:

Well the reason I use Alcohol 120 is so that I don't have to have the game in the drive when I want to play it. I mean after you buy so many games you don't like diggin around for the cd I just like to goto the game and click it

Sorry, mre30...Because your lazy, isn't gonna make anyone bend. If the game companies don't want you using emulators (as they should) they aren't going to stop trying to keep you from using emulators because you're too lazy to put their disc in.

If you're really swaping games that often, you should do what I do, and get one of those little CD-racks to put on yer desk next to yer computer.

Yeah that is ture but I am not lazy just found an easy way around it and I havn't had any problems with sims 2

to be fair there are already copies of the game out there so its not really doing much good, they can copy protect themselves but if it goes as far as scanning my computer for software it doesn't like that is going too far

to be fair there are already copies of the game out there so its not really doing much good
Let me see if I can follow your logic, here...

Since people were murdered yesterday, and many times in the past...it's okay to murder someone today because murder has already been done before...

The guy in line in front of me stole a candybar from the rack. Since he's already stollen one, it's okay for me to steal one two. In fact, since he stole one before, we could all steal one now, since a candybar has already been stollen before...

? :confused: ?

they can copy protect themselves but if it goes as far as scanning my computer for software it doesn't like that is going too far
The use of emulators and copies of software is not strictly limited to lazy fks who can't put a disc in a drive or keep themselves minimally organized. The software makers are not concerned about the lazy few, they're concerned about the fact that copies and the emulators that support the copies, not only violate the copyrights and EULAs, but rob them of profits by allowing people to steal their software and use it without paying for it.

As far as they are concerned, if you are running software that easily allows you to run a copy of their software, you have a high probability of either being a software pirate, or becoming one.

The software company has every right to protect itself in this way. If they pyss-off a few lazy people in the process, I don't think they'll shed to many tears over it.

What would you rather they do? Ask you not to make copies of their software or partake in software piracy? Read the EULA...The polite stuff is already in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom