External Hard Drive Recommendations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to TF mate.

Both Seagate and WD are good, reliable brands really. I have always used seagate, however, many around here use WD and to a lesser degree Samsung [also good HDDs]. I presonally like seagate because they have never failed me and they come with a 5 year warranty from memory. I think WD come with a 3 year warrenty. Really, either brand its fine.

As for size, well it depends how much you need - thats up to you. But try and get a 7200rpm drive with a 32mb cache, some cheaper ones will have 8mb caches and arent really worth getting.

But I've heard from people that some 1tb of seagates tends to crash, I don't know why though, but that's I've heard, I'm planning to buy a 1TB EHDD and I want the most reliable brand I could buy, I'm looking for a longtime storage device where I can store my files and etc.

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far!

Checked out the buffalo external hdds. They seemed reliable enough. They come with software that increases the price though.

I'll have to look at the Seagates before I make my decision.

As for storage size I was thinking 320GB or 500GB. I won't get a TB unless it's a good deal.

Yeah, Terabytes are a bit expensive these days. A 500GB should do you well.

Seagates are good as well, as said earlier.

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far!

Checked out the buffalo external hdds. They seemed reliable enough. They come with software that increases the price though.

I'll have to look at the Seagates before I make my decision.

As for storage size I was thinking 320GB or 500GB. I won't get a TB unless it's a good deal.

You are not paying for the software as you dont need it. I have not installed the software ever. You are paying for quality. How many people here have been able to say that they have had a External for 10 years with constant use and not had a single issue?

I know i can. My external may only be 250GB but it has been working for 10 years with being turned on almost daily. It has been written to more times than my internal drives which have failed me after 5 years. This External is now working with its 3rd PC in its lifetime. It is a total trooper. So yeah you pay a bit more, but when it counts i know that it will always be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom