building gaming rig case. Input and help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezer

Solid State Member
Im building a case for a gaming rig .(Made from steel) I did metal work at school.
It will be compact and for gaming only ,nothing else Just gaming full stop.
I want the case to be able to hold the minimum amount of components for a strong fast gaming rig.

How many HDD bays? four or five or maybe just two or even one :cry:(no raid).
I might do raid configurations but not sure how many bays to build.
If I set up a raid cofiguration I'll want it that is stable and safe and use up as little room(bays) in the case as possible.
What is the most stable. fastest raid configuration for gaming using the least amount of hard disk drives?

One optical drive bay (DVD)Yep, One only! As compact as possible.
Also can a DVD be set in the cae so its on its side and still work ok ?
Same question for the HDD drives too ,do they still work ok if set on their sides ?
I wonder if it would effect the spinning platters. I'm won't be using SSD drives.

It will have a standard size ATX mobo but will have to also take a 270mm long graohics card .
Need to hold a 19cm long Psu. On the floor or top of the case ?

CPU coolers are really big and sit really high . How wide should the case be? 25 cm to 30 cm?

Lastly case fans. I was thinking eight or nine 120mm fans.
Three on top, three on the bottom and two or three at the front
Too many? Too noisy? Never used a rig with a lot fans before.
Please remember this is for gaming only.

For gaming only the minimal amount of drive bays you will need will be i 5.25 for a dvd rom. and 2 3.5 hard drive bays. 1 for os and programs and 1 for data.

My case is wide and fits a true120 just fine at 22CM. For fans 6 should be more than enough. 2 front and 1 side for air in with 2 top and 1 back for exhaust.

The longest gpu card out right now is a 5890 at around 15inches so I would want to be able to handle a card of 380cm

Unfortunately for a real gaming case going small is not really the best option.

Im building a case for a gaming rig .(Made from steel) I did metal work at school.
It will be compact and for gaming only ,nothing else Just gaming full stop.
I want the case to be able to hold the minimum amount of components for a strong fast gaming rig.

How many HDD bays? four or five or maybe just two or even one :cry:(no raid).
I might do raid configurations but not sure how many bays to build.
If I set up a raid cofiguration I'll want it that is stable and safe and use up as little room(bays) in the case as possible.
What is the most stable. fastest raid configuration for gaming using the least amount of hard disk drives?

One optical drive bay (DVD)Yep, One only! As compact as possible.
Also can a DVD be set in the cae so its on its side and still work ok ?
Same question for the HDD drives too ,do they still work ok if set on their sides ?
I wonder if it would effect the spinning platters. I'm won't be using SSD drives.

It will have a standard size ATX mobo but will have to also take a 270mm long graohics card .
Need to hold a 19cm long Psu. On the floor or top of the case ?

CPU coolers are really big and sit really high . How wide should the case be? 25 cm to 30 cm?

Lastly case fans. I was thinking eight or nine 120mm fans.
Three on top, three on the bottom and two or three at the front
Too many? Too noisy? Never used a rig with a lot fans before.
Please remember this is for gaming only.

How many HDD bays? 2 is a good number or maybe 3.
I don't know why you would do a RAID on a gaming only build but really you are asking for the world there; stable, safe, fast and cheap (implied by few drives) is only missing capacity to be the "perfect" RAID config. Sadly, perfect does not exist so you just have to pick what seems to suit your needs at the time but for gaming, as I said, I wouldn't bother with a RAID.
One 5.25" bay is reasonable
I don't think you are supposed to use optical drives on their side but I'm pretty sure I have in the past without issue.
HDDs are definitely fine on their sides
19 cm is a short PSU, make sure you leave enough room for projecting cables, to me the floor of the case makes sense.
22cm is a pretty normal width, 30cm would be very wide (nothing wrong with that of course).
8 fans sounds too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom