new build, please look over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
alright this is going to be my first build (i hope so at least). im going to be reusing my hard drives and sounds card. im already kinda over the set price i had, so i'd rather not change anything that would be more expensive. but my main question is, will there be any compatibility issues?

if you have any recommendations for a CPU cooler, please let me know, because i am planning on over clocking this machine. (lets max the cpu cooler at 45 bucks)

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

case:
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases

Monitor:
Newegg.com - ASUS VH222H-P Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000 :1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Mother Board:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Video Card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Desktop MemoryNewegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Desktop Memory

CD Drive:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - CD / DVD Drives

Yes all those components will be fine together. Good choices. If you plan to overclock though, you will want something along the lines of the cooler apsoul mentioned.

my budget is roughly 1,000 bucks, i do not really wanna go over 1,100. but thats my range. thanks for the cooler, and monitor ideas ill look into them.

question: a friend told me that AM2 and AM2+ coolers are compatible with AM3 CPU's, is this true?

i have also desided to go with this case, because its a bit cheapers, and has better cable management.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146041

Bad decision. You want to use the first case. The first case is better price really. This new case only has 2 120mm fans whereas the first one had 4 fans of different sizes. If you added 2 more fans to this case, then you'd be spending an extra 10-20$ and it would be more than the price of the first case. I got this case: Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports at TigerDirect.com and it comes with no fans at all. I ended up paying more when i added the 2 fans to it than i did if i had bought the other case that I wanted.

But if you just wanted the 2 fans then whatever...plus this new case that you mention does seem more practical. The first one you had to open up a front door to get to the cd drives when this one doesn't have that.

^ You can pick up an Antec900 pretty cheap now, but I doubt the video card will fit in there.. I had to do a lot of trial and error to get all of my crap to fit in the 900.. dual cards won't work in a 900 (With liquid.) That NZXT case looks like you'll have to shoe-horn that vid card in there. I really wish ATI would have done a side power plug PCB on these cards.

-EDIT-

The card will fit in the NZXT and Antec case, but it will be tight..

alright then ill go with the first case :)

alright this is probably going to be my last question. im looking at CPU coolers, there was the one that the guy suggested (which ill put in the list down here). and then a few others ones, that i just want some opinions on. im going to be doing some overclocking, maybe not major overclocking but enough so that i can get the CPU to beat its brother the Phenom II x4 965.

Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks (not sure if this one could fit in the case though, and i would only get it while its still on sale)

I would do the Cooler Master first, but you might want to figure out some way to measure that out (it has dimensions on the website) but I'm pretty sure it would fit. Now if that last one isn't an option, then I'd go with the Sunbeam because that is much quieter than the Zalman and it has a bigger fan. Then again, the Zalman does move more air than the Sunbeam...so it's really based on what you want: quiet, or more air. I think the Sunbeam with less air would still move a suitable amount of air for your processor.

alright i just looked it up, and im pretty sure it should fit, so im going to got with the Cooler Master V8. thanks for all of your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom