Practically speaking, which option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short yes. Dedicated systems will always get the job done better than one do-it-all. I see people on campus and in lecture lugging around monster 17 and 19inch laptops because they thought they could do it all. You get bad battery life, mediocre gaming, a burned lap and a sore shoulder.

Ah so you're saying that buying a desktop and a netbook is good? Hmm, from what you said even desktop replacements arent that good, so I think I will go with the netbook and desktop. Thanks.

Ah so you're saying that buying a desktop and a netbook is good? Hmm, from what you said even desktop replacements arent that good, so I think I will go with the netbook and desktop. Thanks.

Exactly. Desktop replacements are a waste of cash. They try to accomplish 2 goals that require totally different specs. It simply can't be done. However, if you want a tad more umph than your every day netbook, you do have options. Asus makes some very good "super netbooks" as I call them. they have no real classification. They are a bit bigger, but still small by laptop standards, have more power than netbooks, and have great battery life.

AnandTech: ASUS UL80Vt and G51J: Going for the Gold

Anandtech has a review of the UL80VT. I think it would be a great choice.

Sorry, that particular model doesnt seem to be available here and that it seems to be too expensive for me if it was. Laptop prices here are generally $200-$300 more expensive here, at least it seems so, since the HP Mini 311 sells for 30k here, or around $650, whereas from what I read it costs only about $399-$550 over in the US. Besides, only Sony and HP has service centers here.

Looks like I'll be going for an HP Mini 311 as a better buy over the sony in terms of value. Thanks.

Sorry, that particular model doesnt seem to be available here and that it seems to be too expensive for me if it was. Laptop prices here are generally $200-$300 more expensive here, at least it seems so, since the HP Mini 311 sells for 30k here, or around $650, whereas from what I read it costs only about $399-$550 over in the US. Besides, only Sony and HP has service centers here.

Looks like I'll be going for an HP Mini 311 as a better buy over the sony in terms of value. Thanks.

Define "here". If you are in the US or Canada Newegg is your friend. I only buy things from brick and mortar stores that either don't exist online or are so small the benefit is negligible.

Define "here". If you are in the US or Canada Newegg is your friend. I only buy things from brick and mortar stores that either don't exist online or are so small the benefit is negligible.
Here refers to the Philippines. So its easier here to buy things from the malls than online. Thanks anyway.

Well, I plan on bringin the net book to school, and use it for office apps, reading pdfs, surfing, and basically typing. If I'm gonna play anything on it, it would be something just to kill time, like games from popcap (insaniquarium, zuma, plants vs zombies, etc), as I am not likely to have actual gaming time in school. When I get back home I can play on the desktop as much as I want. Hmm, the only low cost laptops here for me would be a compaq, since as I said before I dont like going to brands without customer service. But I'll see if I can find something that weighs less than 2 kilos.

These are the units I'm planning to buy:
Desktop:
HP Pavilion p6100 Desktop PC series Home & Home Office
-I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the first one and upgrade the RAM and vcard later or just get myself broke for the moment and buy the second one. LOL.
Netbooks:
VPCW125AG : W Series : VAIO Notebook & Computer : Sony Philippines
or
HP Mini 311-1000 PC series specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Here's my post wherein I posted the models I am basically looking at. Although for the netbook I'm leaning towards the HP Mini 311 due to Nvidia ION. Oh yeah, I went to the store and they have a version of the 311 which is only about 1000 pesos more expensive but had 250gb HDD and 2gb RAM and Windows 7 Starter, which are upgrades from the unit in the above link. Oh yeah, I wont be going for that desktop now. There are a new set of units with windows 7 on so I'll be looking at those.

ION is a nice thing to have, that should make your life easier. As for desktops. Build your own. It will be cheaper for the same performance then buying. They use a lot of cheap parts in prebuilt systems and have bloatware.

ION is a nice thing to have, that should make your life easier. As for desktops. Build your own. It will be cheaper for the same performance then buying. They use a lot of cheap parts in prebuilt systems and have bloatware.

I know, but my mom wont even hear of me building my own as it is my first desktop. Have always used laptops before and she prefers that I buy a prebuilt one with comprehensive warranty as I am not very much in the know about PC hardware. Oh yeah, would something with an ION and an Intel Atom be capable of running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium? The Mini 311 can give me 2gb of RAM and 250gb of HDD, so I think I can run either smoothly, since Windows 7 Starter is very uncustomizable.

Windows 7 runs much better than windows vista did. It should have no problem. Puddlejumper has an MSI wind that runs 7 and he uses it on a daily basis with no problem.

As for building a pc you often get better warranties. Hardrives are usually 5 years, cpus are for something like 10, and video card warranties can be very good if you get them from the right oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom