My first build. Suggestions plz Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rz.anony

Solid State Member
Re: Semi-Final Order Review at the end of the thread

This is going to be my first build (hopefully) and need some advice as far as some components go.I am currently a Junior in college and going to be using this for a quad monitor setup for trading, video/web editing and coding, 3d design and some light weight accounting apps. I am trying to read up as much as i can but my deadline to set everything up is by the end of this year.

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution vs.
ASUS Rampage II GENE vs.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2?

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
Looking for 12GB 1600mhz ddr3
2x SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Sony Optiarc DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B or something else...
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full
Still looking for a solid PSU

My budget is "about" 25..2600ish haha Any ideas and suggestions would help. Thanks in advance

edit: Ste beat me to it :p

edit 2: oh and you edited your post. well with that new info, my post has been rendered somewhat useless.. listen to Ste :)

Thanks for the immediate reply.
That's a pretty good price on the ram for a 12GB set.

1. I know the answer to this question is probably just a personal pref. thing or a "my guess is as good as yours, but probably not" kind of thing but you think it is worth getting a SSD now or just waiting a couple of months? Also, as far as cost efficiency you think it would be better to invest in a 12GB (3x4GB) setup for future upgrades or just wait it out because they will be 50% cheaper in a couple of months.
2. As far overclocking the parts goes, or at least as far as me thinking about overclocking the parts (once i have read up on the process to make sure the system remains stable) would you recommend the same parts (PSU, coolers, RAM)? I know this an extremely vague and almost idiotic question, but based on what i know as of right now that is the best i can come up with.
3. Bare with me haha, but is there any major difference between the p6t v2 dlux vs the p6t6 ws besides it being more green in term of your wallet, roughly 60 USD

Thanks again for all the help, hopefully ill be able to answer my own questions in a couple of weeks of self indulgent studying and messing around

rz.anony

1) If you have the cash go for a ssd. I personally am waiting for the prices to drop down to $1.50 per gb but that could take a bit. 12gb will be plenty of ram for quite a while. 6gb should be plenty to start but with some of the apps you run 12gb may be useful.

2) Not happy with your cooler for overclocking or anything for that matter.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
with
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
best value heatsink. Can get better performance with more money spent.

3) stick with the v2. The ws is great if you plan on tri sli or xfire but no pci slots could be an issue.

That looks like a good cooler, but its kinda hefty and less is more as far as space consumption in the long run, but its such a trivial amount it doesn't really matter i guess.

yea good call on the v2, what about the evga e760 boards, i was checking them out but i guess that is contingent on whether or not i will be OCing

You brought some good points up and thanks, but could you put some input towards my 2 point in my previous point, i am extremely "newb" at this stuff and reading up on anything and everything relevant, still stuck on youtube as of now but ...you know what i mean thankss

For point 2 the stuff you have is fine. Having all 6 ram slots populated will effect your OC a bit but I do not think that should be a concern for you. I would really consider staring with 6gb and see if you need more. If you do it will only be cheaper. I have really tried to max my ram out with photoshop, lightroom and some heavy statistical packages all running at the same time and the most I have used is 4.5gb of my 6gb of memory.

The evga board to consider is this one:
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Either that one or V2 will make you a happy camper.

thanks for the speedy replies
more ram is better then less ram right haha ill be using some extensive trading software/ platforms, that will need a minimum of the 6, but then again the difference is about 120$ from 6 to 12. Relative to the overall price point at which i will squirm, the extra 5% investment is worth it, but thanks for the input once again, you have been extremely helpful.

Now as far as the the peripheral monitors go, i have 4 dell s2409ws and plan on attaching a lcd HDtv 1080p too (4 in a horizontal set up with two monitors to one wall mount and the lcd tv above, makes me wet just thinking about it). majority of the system total is from those two hd5870 cards. The max resolution on the monitors are 1920X1080 so, you think that it is a good call as far as the cards i am picking? the hd5970 cards are so expensive right now as is any new tech. so i am probably just going to wait on that

ill make up a final package of all the hardware and post it

question about the PSU, Do you think 1000w PSU would be sufficient running the two hd5870s ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom