Going back to PC gaming and 3D Work, building a new PC help for Bday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to second the motion to get a real psu. Anything from corsair, pc power and cooling or seasonic will be great.

As for storage I would recommend getting an SSD for the OS+Apps and a fast hard drive for data.

I recommend this SSD: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex OCZSSD2-1VTXA60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Apple / Mac Edition SSD - Solid State Disks

I find the SSD kind of expensive, as for the PSU i already bought it as a combo pack with the case... which saved me $30.

I am thinking of getting a WD Black Caviar 1 TB and and a Blue Caviar 500 GB, SSD is kind of pricey to me. If you can elaborate though, how does it benefit me to have my OS on an SSD rather than a HDD?

Nothing is set in stone yet for the HDD/SSD, i'll think about it...

SSD's are much faster than conventional hard drives.

By installing the OS on the SSD you will see extremely fast load times.

I have heard stories of windows 7 and other operating systems booting to desktop in under 30 seconds on SSD's..

every SSD is faster than conventional 7200rpm hard drives. And all but the worst are faster than the 10k rpm hard drives. There is no comparison. SSDs make every hard drive slow. Your boot up is instant, programs load when you click on them, no hiccups. an SSD is the single best upgrade you can invest in. Yes they are expensive, but they are getting cheaper. Trust me the cost is worth it.

every SSD is faster than conventional 7200rpm hard drives. And all but the worst are faster than the 10k rpm hard drives. There is no comparison. SSDs make every hard drive slow. Your boot up is instant, programs load when you click on them, no hiccups. an SSD is the single best upgrade you can invest in. Yes they are expensive, but they are getting cheaper. Trust me the cost is worth it.

So you're just suggesting a single SSD for the OS installion/partition itself, and just a seperate 1TB HDD for all my stuff?

Or are you suggesting SSD for all my files?

hm you have convinced me, however, I will see if I can afford it.

^This. An SSD is very expensive. One big enough for you files would be absurdly so. a 60gig SSD should be enough for windows and your apps. Just make sure to save your music, pictures, and docs on the data drive. That's what I have always done anyways.

This system not only lets you use a smaller SSD, but it also makes upgrading OS's easier. All of you personal files are on a separate drive and don't need to be backed up. When you get a new machine, you just plug that drive in and everything is there.

^This. An SSD is very expensive. One big enough for you files would be absurdly so. a 60gig SSD should be enough for windows and your apps. Just make sure to save your music, pictures, and docs on the data drive. That's what I have always done anyways.

This system not only lets you use a smaller SSD, but it also makes upgrading OS's easier. All of you personal files are on a separate drive and don't need to be backed up. When you get a new machine, you just plug that drive in and everything is there.

Yes, i'll probably will get a 60 Gig SSD, and a 1 TB WD Black Caviar HDD. I have tons of games though, 60 gig won't be enough but i'll install the most used games on SSD though with the OS.

The following games on SSD will be Crysis, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, STALKER Clear Sky, and STALKER Call of Pripyat, Left 4 Dead 2, Demigod, Dawn of War II hopefully 60 gigs will be enough..

You have a good taste in games. Not enough people play stalker.

heh thank you man +rep. Yes STALKER is a great game and STALKER Call of Pripyat (comes out fFeb 2nd 2010 in USA) supports DX 11 so I cannot wait to play it. I am also very stoked for Bioshock 2, Alien Versus Predator, Rage, Crysis 2, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3 etc..

By the way, do you have AIM or MSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom