External Hard Drive Recommendations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnos

Baseband Member
Hey there!

After a few searches and only coming across troubleshooting threads I was wondering if the good people at the Computer Tech Forums could offer me a few recommendations on some external hard drives. Ones I'm familiar with are Western Digital but seeing as the last one that I owned crapped out with an I/O Device Error I do NOT want to try that brand again.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ragnos

Can't you just simply get an internal hdd and put it in an external case?

I have a WD 320 MyBook, and its been working fine for 2 years. But if you don't like WD, go for the Seagate ones. I never owned a Seagate external, but I had several of their internal drives, still works to this day, after 8-9 years..

Getting a enclosure and putting a internal drive in it doesnt require much putting together. Basically you hook up the drive, close the case and it is done. If you have a spare internal drive it will save you a lot of money to just get a enclosure.

I have been using a Buffalo Drivestation External for years now. It has never failed me. I would take a look at them. they are not as well known but i haev had mine for almost a decade with no issues ever.

I'll ask the same question... I want to buy an external HDD and apparently I don't know what brand I should buy... What brand of an external HDD do you prefer? Some people say Seagate is a good brand, but some say Western Digital is better than Seagate, I am quite confused right now of what brand I should buy and I want to know what storage capacity do you guys prefer? 320gb? 500gb? or 1tb?

I'll ask the same question... I want to buy an external HDD and apparently I don't know what brand I should buy... What brand of an external HDD do you prefer? Some people say Seagate is a good brand, but some say Western Digital is better than Seagate, I am quite confused right now of what brand I should buy and I want to know what storage capacity do you guys prefer? 320gb? 500gb? or 1tb?

Welcome to TF mate.

Both Seagate and WD are good, reliable brands really. I have always used seagate, however, many around here use WD and to a lesser degree Samsung [also good HDDs]. I presonally like seagate because they have never failed me and they come with a 5 year warranty from memory. I think WD come with a 3 year warrenty. Really, either brand its fine.

As for size, well it depends how much you need - thats up to you. But try and get a 7200rpm drive with a 32mb cache, some cheaper ones will have 8mb caches and arent really worth getting.

Both Seagate and WD are good, reliable brands really. I have always used seagate, however, many around here use WD and to a lesser degree Samsung [also good HDDs]. I presonally like seagate because they have never failed me and they come with a 5 year warranty from memory. I think WD come with a 3 year warrenty. Really, either brand its fine.

Yes, I have used Seagate drives as well as WD. I have only 1 WD external. I have 2 x 320GB AAKS in my main computer, and 2 x 640GB AAKS in my server. Never failed me for 2-3 years now.

My old PATA WD200 (20GB) still works to this day. (been about 10 years)

I never used Samsung, but I haven't heard anything bad about 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom