Need help with parts for new "Gaming" PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrs113

Solid State Member
-Well first off I hope this is the right section if not Mods please move to the appropriate area.-

Hey all I'm pretty new to PC gaming (just started last summer) but I'm hooked. So I decided its time to build my own gaming oriented PC. Now the building wont be a problem the trouble im having is getting all the specific hardware for the build. This is made even more difficult by the fact that I know almost nothing about computer hardware or specific brands. I already have a motherboard, not sure what brand but I do know it's a 750i. So I need a processor that will be compatible with it (I believe Intel). My budget is $750-$800 for a computer that will last between 5-8 years. This is just for the computer its self I will be picking up a monitor a little later. So what should I get? Oh and please include any information as to why that particular part would be best as I am trying to learn more about computers in general. Thanks

-Jack

We'll need the exact motherboard info so that we know which CPUs are compatible with it. I'm not sure if all 750i's can take quad cores or not... Oh and i'm not so sure any computer would last 8yrs; at least not with $800. But here's something that appears to be compatible with your motherboard:

Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100269HDMI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

Thats one direction you could take. That all totalled $623. But you're limiting yourself with that motherboard. If that leaves a lot of room, you could get an ATI 5850 instead for more "extreme" gaming.

Sorry about not having the brand it's my friends old MB and he doesn't remember which brand it is. It didn't cost me anything and he said he'd help figure out a good processor. Thanks for the links also how do I figure out if I need to purchase any extra cables or wires(that don't come with the parts I buy). Thanks again.

-Jack

Lets see...

You'll need a couple of SATA cables for your Hard drive and optical drive. Which reminds me, there's no optical drive up there ^ ^. If you're using an old optical drive, then it'll probably be IDE so you'll need in that case one SATA cable for your HD and one IDE for your optical. Your friend may have some of those lying around, but if not, they're quite cheap. All the power connections should come with the PSU. Not sure if that PSU has the main power cord though, but i'm sure you have a lot of those lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom