Ram, and Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Would upgrading my existing ram to a high end set like Corsair XMS make any difference speed or preformance in my gaming? Also would getting a harddrive with an 8MB Buffer as opposed to the one I have now which is a 2MB Buffer make any speed difference?

Well....your motherboard doesn't support dual channel which would probably result in the biggest increase in performance. Besides that, you'll get a performance increase going to the XMS ram, but it'll be anywhere from $225 -$300 depending on if you want the absolute XTRA LOW LATENCY which is the higher priced. All in all it wouldn't be worth it to pay that much money when you more than likely won't see an astronomical increase in performance, especially since you aren't running in dual channel or even capable of running it for that matter. As for the HD, I really don't know. I'm not sure how much the buffer effects system speed.

If you got money to spend and want an extra 1gb of RAM laying around for a possible second computer in the future, go for it, but for the most part you wont see any huge difference compared to the dent in your wallet

doesnt your system perform pritty good as is?

if your talking specifically for gaming, the biggest improvment for the least amount of money would be to prolly get a CRT monitor.

having lower latency ram will make the frame transitions looks smoother, but the increase wont be taht big as ur system is already good.

doesnt your system perform pritty good as is?

I love my system, and there is nothing that wont run on it in the highest settings. (except for Doom3) I am just trying to add the last few upgrades that I couldn't afford when I built to machine, to make it perfect. But if the Ram isnt going to make a difference, im not going to spend the $300.

Ram will make a little difference but not what you are expecting to get form it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom