Entertainment/ Gaming PC build around 2k???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build all together would run me (without the blu ray player or the i975) about $2000.
The monitor is not included in this price as I will be getting a deal through my work for it. Thing is they only have a selection of 1920x1080 resolution screens right now and I don't want to wait until a 1920x1200 comes out.
As far as the 5970 goes, I really can't justify downgrading because the 5870 will get the job done. I'm looking into this as more of an investment so it will still be a great card in the future playing the best of games.

fair enough but you can always add a second card when you run into games that you have issues with which will not happen for a while and it would be cheaper in the long run. Or upgrade your card in a couple of years.

With that said if I could afford it I would love a 5970. Although I would be waiting to see the performance of the gtx300's. And realistically I would get the 5870 because I prefer a single gpu solution.

That actually does make me question my reasoning. I totally forgot about the 300's. Maybe I will just go with the 5870 for right now. Question though... If I ended up getting the 5970 how much of a difference would I see between that and the 5870 given each of them on my set-up individually...GAAAA!!! Building a computer is harder and takes so much more time than I thought. It's gonna be sweet though. Thanks for all your input.

BTW, whats the difference between latencies from the cas7 I'm looking at and the cas8 you are proposing? Will it perform faster? How about the heat output?

Alright I'm almost done with finding what I need as far as parts. There was a recommendation for an SSD. Those things are terribly expensive though. For a 60 gb I'd be paying more than two 1tb drives! I need some feedback as if the 60gb will suffice and what to use it for if I go with one SSD and a 1tb hard drive. What's the best case scenario with this setup? Or should I just stay with two hard drives...

Also there have been recommendations for better cpu coolers... I am pleased with the performance the ccf has to offer but if there is something better(quieter, more efficient, cooler temps) for about the same $ i would be very interested.

Just get one hard drive for now and wait on a ssd. That is what I am currently doing.

As I stated before, nothing better than the sunbeam at that price. You want better you have to pay to play. :)

Thanks Hefemeister! You've been a great help. Question though. with just the one 1tb drive and no ssd for boot and aps (at the moment) how greatly will that affect load times, installation and thinks of that nature?

And what about latencies between the cas7 and cas8?

My i7 is fast. I do really want a ssd but they are just too expensive right now. Raid0 with 2 1tb drives is too risky IMO for the increased speed. The samsung you chose and wd black are plenty fast.

Yeah I agree. Sometimes safety comes before speed.

Cas8 8-8-7-20?
Cas7 7-7-7-21?
Which one delivers better performance?

Where did you buy your true 120? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

The cas 7 will perform better; but whether the difference is noticeable or not i'm not sure... so to pay an extra $100 for the cas7 is not worth it. You could be getting better performance elsewhere for $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom