Replacing Mobo and possibly vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
ive been gone from here for awhile now, and not up to speed on hardware as i use to be.

so im asking for some help.

my current mobo seems to be dieing off, and i would like to replace it.

current board: Biostar Tpower X58A

problems with the board:

started losing overclocking potenial months ago, can no longer clock over 3.5 with my
i7920

audio in/out problems

one or more of the pci slots have gone dead

3 of the 6 ram slots are dead

onboard ethernet port dead(have to use external via usb)

and just this morning, with a fresh boot up, it could not find its own bios, had to try restarting it again and it booted up that time.

so with that said, i would like a decent replacement reccomendation, budget upto $350

edit: i may consider selling the i7920 (maybe $150) and going amd again, i really liked my phenom system i built earlier this year. so also recommend a AMD Board + CPU along side of the intel board, so i can compair prices

and as for a video card, my current 4770 runs fine @ my 1920x1200 resolution, but when i run fraps to record gameplay in games, it really lags, so i think i need an upgrade here too, should i wait for the new nvidia lineup or grab something from the new ATI lineup?

i will also be upgrading to windows 7 with this change.

thanks

edit: just in case my sys specs are needed:

i7920 cpu
biostar Tpower X58A mobo
xfx HD4770 gpu
ocz XMP 1600 DDR3 ram 6GB (3x2)
ocz Fatality 600w psu

With that budget I would just go with one of the 5000 series ATI since im sure the new Nvidia Fermi architecture cards will be crazy expensive.

I would rma the board.

As for i7 replacement boards look at the evga and asus boards in your price range.

well i would rma it but im slightly against that, the board could be fading because of me so i have decided to take the loss and just not buy from biostar again.

there are a few companies that i will buy from again after recieving a bad product, and biostar is not one of them sadly.

i may go with asus once again, but i really hate their website setup when it comes to finding certain info.

i may go with evga, but if i choose to go with phenom then evga will not be my choice as their amd boards are not up to par i dont think.

edit: after looking at newegg,

for less than $400 i can get a phenom X4 965 + any AMD mobo i want, then i can sell my i7 and only be out $200 or so, i can use that for some nice dual channel DDR3 ram + new CPU cooler

I think ill just go back to AMD

Sorry bro, that doesn't make much sense. You're downgrading for the sake of going AMD. You can get a decent 1366 board for $200, so cost-wise it'll cost the same. And it won't hurt to try to RMA that biostar board... like hefe said, sell it!

Best choice, RMA the board, get the replacement, sell that board, and still buy a new board.

I really don't recommend PII anymore unless you have an AM2 based rig already or are simply a fanboy (like me), I'd just recommend a a Core i5.

well i still have not made up my mind on what i want to do.

as for rma'ing the board, ill reconsider it after i get the replacement.

since i was thinking about building a new pII system, i have upped my budget on the intel board to unlimited budget.

what is the best **** board i can get for my money for reliability, features and single card performance. for the the LGA 1366 platform

as for GPU, would a 5850 be strong enough to play lighter games with Fraps running, 4770's and those comparable do not cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom