HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, you would do this by decreasing room tempature, placing higher cfm fans in the case, and putting a fan on the other side of the card.

And if you really wanted to cool it better you could buy an aftermarket heatsink for the video card.

But thats more money and involves removing the old heatsink from the card.

Someone else can recommend a heatsink for that card.

Well yes, you would do this by decreasing room tempature, placing higher cfm fans in the case, and putting a fan on the other side of the card.

And if you really wanted to cool it better you could buy an aftermarket heatsink for the video card.

But thats more money and involves removing the old heatsink from the card.

Someone else can recommend a heatsink for that card.

Removing the heatsink on the card would most definitely void my warranty, wouldn't it?

Also, is there any chance you could explain what you mean by CFM?

Yes it would void the warranty, but its your choice if the temps are still high.

CFM is just how much air a fan pushes.

The higher the CFM the more air a fan pushes.
So buy a fan with high CFM.

Actually since your 4870 is an XFX card you can remove the stock heatsink and replace it with an aftermarket cooler. If anything goes wrong you can reattach the stock heatsink and request for RMA.

A decent cooler is the Thermalright T-Rad 2, just remember that you will need to purchase two additional 92mm fans.

Okay, before replacing HSs, you need to look at alot of cheaper easier solutions. things like airflow... what case do you have?

Does the T-rad fit 4870s? I have one on my 8800gt and it is very nice, but there are other issues that a t-rad would still get, if only it was changed.

Getting fresh cool air straight into you intake is what you need. So do wire mnAGEMENT. Keep the fans clean, and ensure theres sair flowing into your case and you'll notice a better temp.

I moved the computer into the other room. Now the temperature is 72C idle. I'm really scared.

I have a Xion Solaris case. Wires all over the ******n place. Etc.

What is wire management? Just moving the wires to the side or something?

What if I take my side panel off, and have a house fan pointing at the inside of the computer? Or would I need to have the fan, pointing away from the computer so it blows the hot air away?

Would that work? =D
_

Took side panel off the computer, used catalyst to set fan speed to 100%, and then took a small house fan and pointed it directly at the computer. i'm now at 55C idle

Ghetto but works?

The Thermalright T-Rad 2 is compatible with the 4850, 4870, 4890 and soon to be with the 5870 and 5850 cards. You must keep in mind that the 4890 and above have VRMS that are constantly generating a large amount of heat. Hence Thermalright requests that you use their specially designed VRM heatsinks for those cards.

Wire management is the action of routing the cables in your computer logically in a manner to optimize airflow throughout the case. If cables are impeding your fans then you should try your best to segregate them to one side via zip-ties or finding alternate routes for the cables.

What case do you have.

I'm really starting to believe your heat issue is because you have a budget cased with performsance parts. NEVER ideal setup.

I'd currently run with no side, and you can turn the fan down, after 75-80% its not very efficient, you really just make more noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom