BIOS password on an old Sony laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ants-64

Solid State Member
Anyone know how to clear a BIOS password on an old Sony laptop? The model name is VAIO, the model number is PCG-FX220. I know, it's almost not worth messing with, but it's my daughters and she can't buy anything else right now. The other option would be if you know how to get to the boot options screen. I'd like to install XP, but can't get it to boot from the CD-rom, and F8 or F12 don't give me that option. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Anthony

Well if you are real lucky the bios battery will not be soldered onto the motherboard. If so you can pull it for 20 minutes or so making sure the power is unplugged. It will be a pain to get to.

Who set the bios pass on it. Can you ask them?

I can open a cover on the bottom and pop the battery right out. In fact, I've already done that for about 5 mins, guess I'll leave it out for a longer period of time and see if that works.

I picked it up used from a guy in Boulder about 5 years ago and never tried to get into the BIOS back then, cause it was working fine at the time. So basically, no, I can't ask him for the password.

Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try.

well, taking the battery out for several hours did nothing, anyone else have an idea how to clear this password? TIA, Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom