Best computer for around $400

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPxSynergy

Solid State Member
Hey All!

My friend was about to order a randomly-built computer online for X-mas before I talked to him and convinced him to hold off for a few days. I told him that I would help him build something to see if we can't get him something better for his budget of around $400.

If need be- I can sell him my 320gb pata drive for 20 bucks or so since I have a spare- so if he can get better parts by knocking off that cost, go ahead and calculate accordingly. I also have a power supply, think 320 watt, but don't think its very good (old).

He has a monitor, needs everything else, including case. Performance outweighs any kind of visuals, he is a basic user and will not be gaming (primarily music).

I would appreciate any help. I wanna help him out, but it is exam week and I don't have much time. Thanks Everyone. Brad

Hey I would recommend you start looking at these parts first and see if it helps:

Hey welcome to tech-forums to start you off lets look at these parts:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785GE AM2+/AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

SO far for those 2 parts it is at 169.00

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2/1GR - Desktop Memory (get 2 for 52.00)

Now it is currently at 280.00

This power supply should handle your video cards current needs.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Now I'll stop at this point and let some one else take over

That is grand total of 322.00 mind you almost all of the parts have free shipping so I tried to factor that in for you since you will be ordering a very huge box with parts in them from newegg.com.

Sorry if my links are dead can't figure out why it's doing that for odd reason....

Thanks for your quick response! will he even need a different video card if he's only doing music and stuff? will the onboard suffice?

Thanks, that RAM brought the cost down. Yeah, he has an OS already, otherwise that would become a huge issue. Or he didn't count that in his cost, idk. I picked out a basic case for him for 49.99, don't believe that will be an issue, unless there are any other suggestions. Newegg.com - Rosewill Wind Knight Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with pre-installed 2x 120mm Fan, Support up to 1x 140mm top fan, 2x 140mm side fan, 1x 140mm front fan, 1x 120mm rear fan - Computer Cases ... I think I may have convinced him now to let me help him, I appreciate all of your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom