Building a PC, need some help with memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjlmbklr

Solid State Member
I picked up an Asus-P5N-E SLI reasonably cheap (please spare me the opinions in this board unrelated to my question)

This board has "Memory Standard DDR2 800". I am not sure what this means. I already am sold on getting a 775 socket CPU. But this board may be replaced eventually. So ideally I want memory that can be moved to the new (more then likely faster rated for memory) board to be. I get confused by the memory speed ratings and what they mean to the board they are used in.

Does 800Mhz mean I can only use that speed or can I go with a faster memory. The reason for my confusion is the reviews/videos for this board talk about it's good ability to over clock, including the memory. They mention OC-ing it at speeds above 800Mhz :4-dontkno

Help me to better understand....I will be very thankful

But for now thanks in advance!

standard is ddr2-800 just means Asus can only guarantee memory speed up to ddr2-800

you sure can use faster memory, but there is no guarantee it will run faster than ddr2-800

if you decide to use faster memory and the board doesn't accept it, it will just down clock itself to ddr2-800

ddr3 is becoming main stream while ddr2 is being phased out

if you do decide to get a "new" motherboard, I am guessing it will utilize ddr3. therefore you will also have to get new set of RAM

since ddr2 memory will not work on motherboards using ddr3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom