What CPU would you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBaker

Baseband Member
I'm looking to start building a new desktop (for gaming) and I'm trying to decide on a CPU.

I'm looking to keep the price around $150-$200USD and I'm not partial to AMD or Intel

Here is what I've found:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor- $185.00

Intel Core i5 750 Qaud Core Processor - $189.99

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor - $169.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor Q9400 - $154.97

Let me know what one you would pick and why, and if you have a suggestion of your own please feel free to add it!

Thanks.

It might boil down to what can be put together the cheapest, at the time of the purchase. Combo deals etc... those 4 cpu's are close in speed. Other members may be able to share which one's OC better.

MWSnap04912-14-09.jpg

I would buy the i5, actually I did hehehe.
Seriously the i5 has better performance when compared clock by clock. On stock speed it's a little faster than the AMDs.
I wouldn't consider the Q9400 since it uses the 775 socket which is becoming obsolete. Neither the AMD 965 since the only difference between the 965 and 955 is the multiplier +1 which you can easily increase in the 955 since it's the black edition.

Resuming, choose between the i5 750 and the AMD 955.

i5 750, I'd say it's the fastest or it holds the most potential. If I had one it would be running at 4GHz+ :D

What CPU I Reccommend?

I would get a Intel i5.AMD is good but Intel is seriously better.If you even had enough money I would really recommend the Intel i7 920 because it has Hyper Threading wich I consider a really good feature and a disadvantage of the i5.

If you're looking for HT you can also get the i7 860 which has HT and uses socket 1156, it's a little cheaper because it uses dual channel, only need two modules of RAM, and the mobos are cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom