3DSM5 - Sooo slow, anyway to improve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
I've tried it on two computers, both lacking in some areas...generalized, they are:

AMD Athalon 1700+ (~1.1GHz)
512MB DDR 2700
Windows XP Pro
Radeon 9500 Pro (128MB DDR)
-and-
(keep in mind, this one is a laptop)->
Intel P4 2.0GHz
256MB DDR 3200
Windows XP Pro
Radeon Mobility 7000

Anyhow, both run *extremely* slow--it takes several minutes to load the application, then to try and use it is just ridicleous, you click something, it takes ~15seconds to respond (each time you do anything).

I don't know how anything really compares, but I've got Adobe PS8 running fine (takes ~15 sec to load, then instant otherwise), Doom 3 runs with little lag.

I tried closing everything I possibly could before using 3DSM5, but it never helped.

Any suggestions?

Probably the systems are clogged with spyware and adware. Have you looked in the task manager to see what processes Windows is running? Checked for any viruses? If there are any suspicous programs that seem to be using up alot of Mem Usage, let me know or search for some more info on them.on Google or something.

Also, try a defrag. Located in, Start \ Accessories \ System Tools \ Disk Defragmenter. And run a disk cleanup, located in the same place.

There is a software named System Mechanic which will sort your system out. Goto http:\\www.iolo.com

Hope this helps ... :)

Delboy

Is Spy Sweeper any better than Ad-aware SE? I've used that for a long time--run it usually once a month.

As far as defraging, I've only done that once ever :) But that one time was for that program, and it made a slight difference, but still something bugging. My hard drive is about 98% full though, usually around 80% though...would that make a difference?

I recently ran a registry cleaner too, not that it should do much to the performance, but it found ~400 problems which it fixed. (Mainly just empty keys/non-existant programs).

I'll look at System Mechanics--probably go for their 30 day trial, can't hurt (or can it?! LoL) ;)

Also, if anyone has any more ideas, let me know :)

Thanks for the help, Delboy and overclocker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom