Which MB should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Hefemeister, I'm getting bummed out here, I emailed EVGA to find out the watts for the cpu. So if it is only 95w whats the best cpu I could use then??? I looked at NewEgg for the best AM2+ socket cpu I could find which was the Phenom II x4 940 125W. So if your right and it's only 95W then the best cpu would be the AMD Phenom 9650 2,3GHZ socket AM2+ 95W right?? I want at least a QUAD core or I'm beginning to think I may put this board up on Ebay when I get it. I want my nest build to be a high end , fast gaming comp that can play any game on high settings.

Crap looking at the list Septic put up of the CPU benchmarks, the Phenom 9650 Quad core is way down the list from the Phenom II x4 940. I'm beginning to get disappointed with this board. A asked the EVGA rep about the how long this board had been out to get an idea of how old it was technology wise. he said , it was released 9/25/08 and stopped production 8/14/09. I don't know if this is going to disappoint me or not, I was thinking this would be a nice new upgrade for a new build, but I don't know now.

YAAAA, feeling excited again, got email reply from EVGA, they said this MB 113-M2-E113-TR can easily handle the Phenom II x4 940 125W CPU . They didn't say exactly how many watts it can handle, but the Phenom II x4 940 looks like the fastest AM2+ CPU I can find on NewEgg and should make a good high end game machine don't you all think????

Since I'm getting the MB free, I guess I want to spend my money on a good GPU. I still like Nvidia best, so I'm thinking XFX GX260XADJC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail for 180$ or comparable ATI would be , VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

the XFX GTX 260s on Newegg.com are only 192 core

might as well get the
Palit NE3X262SFHD94 GeForce GTX 260 896MB

gtx 260 (216) beats HD 4870 beats gtx 260 (192)

OK so this MB wont be a " high end" build, but it will be a major step forward from my current, AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core, MSI K8N NEO4-F, 4 GIG DDr400, RIGHT????
Main thing I am looking for is quad core, good gaming computer, with the best GPU I can find.

One good thing about this EVGA 113-M2-E113-TR is it has an integrated GForce 8200 GPU. At first I thought this would be a bummer, as it limits the board to "Hubrid SLI" . But then from all I read and hear, SLI is very expensive, for two good GPU's where one superior GPU is cheaper and performs better. Unless some one can explain otherwise.

So I figure I can build this comp on the cheap , by buying all parts , putting it together, and using the on board GForce 8200 for now, then next pay, buy my main GPU.Graphics card and they drop a little in price that way too.
If I bought a GPU right now, I like

EVGA 01G-P3-1190-TR GeForce GTX 285 Classified 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

At least a GTX285, if not a GTX 295 maybe.

Need some advice here folks. EVGA RMA my old MB withe the bad DIMM sockets. and they offer me two choices for a replacement MB. Either MB will be for a new build in about 5 months when I have the money. Please give me your opinions on which board would be the best choice.

1) EVGA | Products
2) EVGA | Products

Looking these two boards, I'm kinda disappointed as they are both older technology.
I like choice 1 AMD , socket AM2+ at least give me quad core, not crazy about built in Geforce 8200 graphics, I would definitely purchase a better graphics card. No t sure about choice 2.
Maybe you all can give me some suggested builds along with your choices please??

Note that the AMD board does not support the new Phenom II's, or Athalon II's. so if you get that one you are stuck with last gen CPU's.

OK philbar71, I'm not up on the latest I guess, your talking about socket AM3 then right?
Yeah this MB is socket Am2+ , not the newest CPU true.

But I got it as a replacement for an RMA from EVGA, basically free, even though it's not the latest board at least it will take a Phenom II x2 Quad 940, that's not that far back .
Another thing is the MB has PCI Express X16 2.0 so it can take the latest graphics card, that's the main thing I want for gaming.

I thought of maybe selling it on Ebay to get money for a current gen motherboard, but I doubt I would get much for it, so I think I am better off using it.

That's a good question, I asked the EVGA rep, he said no, it's not eligible for the step up program. You can only step up to boards of same socket, and EVGA has dropped AMD, they only make Intel boards now.

But I'm ok with this board, a new EVGA Intel board would be nice , but an expensive build.New intel i5 or i7 cpu are expensive.
I think I can build my new comp using the on board video, for under $1000, then buy my graphics card next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom