New HDD - Getting CRC and Deep Path errors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev_765

Beta member
Hi everyone, first post from myself.
Got a bit of a new hardware problem with my desktop.
Recently lost my HDD along with all my music, movies, photos etc.

I bought A new HDD and fitted it myself (its a Seagate 3.5" IDE) Im not particularly techie, but managed to do this ok I think.
I then set about replacing all my lost data so got down to some heavy downloading.

I also had around 20gig of music on my I-River which I wanted to transfer to my HDD.
The first few folders copied over no problem but then I started to get the following errors.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Cannot copy the path is too deep.

Also when I restarted the PC I got a message about repairing clusters that seemed to freeze at about 13%

As I said I am no techie whatsoever, there are two things that I can think of that may be a problem.

When I done a fresh Windows install on my new HDD, I made the partition wrong and ended up with a 10gig HDD and 70gig of unallocated space.
I tried to fix this and now have the small 10 gig drive which has all My Documents, Program Files etc and a seperate e:drive with my other 70 gig
which I have been using for storing all music files etc. Could this be causing any problems.

Also when installing Windows I opted for FAT32 instead of NTFS, I wasn't really sure what I was doing at this point
as I had nothing to reference.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

The problem is you used FAT32. That has a file limit size of 4GB. So if you try to copy anything more than that over at once, you will get this problem. you need to format to NTFS or convert the file system to NTFS in order to stop this.

How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP
How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS

I would guess that you are using XP since Vista and Win7 dont allow for install to FAT32 by default.

Convert it to NTFS by either the links or a format and reinstall and you will resolve your issue.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I checked, and the 70 Gb partition is actually NTFS. I did however convert the 10Gb partition to NTFS and am still getting the errors.

Any other ideas?

Run chkdsk /r /f on the drive. Along with sfc /scannow to ensure that there is no drive issues and the files are not corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom