5700 256MB or 9800 128MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats not true because on Doom3 you have to have 256mb to enable ultra graphics.

Actually they say you need a 512mb card for the Ultra Graphics =/ Even with an FX-53, 2gb of Corsair XMS RAM, the 6800 Ultra all that good stuff. On the article I read, when they ran it at 1600x1200 ultra, high everything AA on full blast, there was slight image tearing...but yeah basically that card can still handle it, but that tearing is a result from the VRAM refreshing. Nothing insanely major, but yeah

Nvidia fan boy said:
Well I had a GeforceFX 5600 Ultra (256mb) and I could run Ultra High, but my friend w/ a 9800PRO (128mb) could not.
You can't compare the two considering each card is on a different system.

beedubaya said:
9800 Pro....ag3 will tell you..is the best. Go with it hands down.
Yep! The Radeon 9800 PRO will cut up any of the 5xxx series. And that is without any modifications.

I used to have a 5600XT 256mb and now i got a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb, and its soooo much better, i got around 6000 on 3dmark 01 with the 5600 and now i get 14000 about. Radeon all the way :D

Yea we used my system for both cards but his 9800 PRO is better. I was just making a point about the ultra high graphics thing.

yeah, I wasn't saying you COULDN"T put it on ultra settings, but they said that the file size of the images produced were much bigger than 256mb card and would really shine on the 512mb cards and Ultra was designed somewhat to really function on that when they came out

I think you should softmod your 9800SE to a 9800 PRO, there is nothing to lose, if your card has a few flawed pipelines u can just put it back on normal, but chances are, all of the 4 inactive pipelines are in great shape!

I already tried the softmod it didn't do much I got about an extra 100-150 points on 3dMark03. I think i'll switch the cards and test it on 3dmark03 and Aquamark then I'll use the better one. Ill post my results if anyone cares.

Musjunk, maybe your cards wasn't among the ones that had the R350 ( think it's R350? ) with the extra 4 pipes closed down. Maybe yours was one of the ones where the extra 4 pipes were shut down because they were actually flawed. It depends on how in demand those cards are. If they are in high demand they take the chip from the Pro and just disable the extra 4 pipes and sell it as a cheaper version, while if it's not in high demand they take the chips that have defects and flawed pipelines and enable only the 4 nonflawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom