SATA as primary and 2 extra IDE drives???

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPxSynergy

Solid State Member
I'm building a new computer any day now (when parts arrive) and was curious if it was possible to load my OS on my new SATA drive, and then turn it off and somehow hook up my two old IDE HDD's to maximize my memory? All i want them for is to be able to dump movies and files from my SATA to them for extra storage. If it is possible, what would the jumper settings be? I tried reading about it, but various answers came for both yes and no. Some said just set it up and go into the BIOS to make your SATA boot first, well no duh- for a nooby like me, thats the first and only thing I would try, but I'm sure there are certain jumper settings or something to make sure it is done right. Thanks for your help.

My motherboard is a Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Yha, you'll be fine, you just loaded the OS to the new HD and set it as 1st boot in the BIOS, then set both ide to slaves, and run a double ribbin to them.

What case are you using? Older cases sometimes doesn't have enough 3.5" slots.

BTW, its storage, not memory.. Memorys the RAM.

Thanks for the quick response! My case is a newer thermaltake armor, has 3 slots for 3.5" (perfect!).. haha.. and Yes, storage, not memory. I know, habit to use the words interchangeably. So that answers that! appreciate it!

Actually one of the IDE drives will be set to master and the other slave, or both to cable select. Being set to master will have no bearing on the SATA drive as those are set by the system (BIOS if you will) I've attached IDE drives to my system to salvage data from crashed systems and it boots right to the Sata drive and the Master IDE drive just comes up as a secondary drive letter.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom