CM 690 Mod and Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
lapping your heatsink is easy, just time consuming. The procedure is the same whatever heatsink you use :D

Here's a 2-part video on lapping your cpu. It's easy to do, you just have to be delicate :D

Thanks for the videos! I'll still think about it though, would want to make sure the cpu works before the warranty is totally void. The heatsink does have a few scratches in it though. So it would be no different lapping a heatsink that has the pipes actually touching the core than a normal heatsink?

So it would be no different lapping a heatsink that has the pipes actually touching the core than a normal heatsink?

Hmmm. didn't think about the pipes having direct contact. I would only lightly polish it with a really high grit paper (1500 or 2000) if I did anything at all.

Ok, just wasn't sure and didn't want to eventually try it and have one break open or something. It's not too bad, just a couple minor scratches. Thanks for your help :D.

Not sure if I'll be able to start cutting the case at all tomorrow, hopefully though.

Sorry for the long wait guys, had some trouble getting it up and running. Build went together fine, but installing Windows was a pain. After 2 days and lots of attempts, I finally figured out that I had to change the order of where the Bios checks for a graphics device first. If I didn't have that set right the Windows installation would always crash at "Completing Installation".

Anyway, everything is setup and running now. Here are some pics :).
Rear fan mesh cut out:
1000738v.jpg

PSU fan mesh and metal cut out for increased airflow:
1000739.jpg

Top fan position mesh cut out:
1000747w.jpg

Horrid back of motherboard tray wires:
1000748.jpg

Only way of getting all of the psu wires behind the motherboard, this psu is longer than most:
1000750.jpg

More wire management:
1000751.jpg

Sleeved sidepanel fan cable, ran out of small heatshrink so I used zip ties, can't see them anyway:
1000753.jpg

What the psu hole looks like with the psu installed:
1000754.jpg

Everything installed:
1000755n.jpg

Shot with the cold cathodes on, colors are somewhat distorted :(:
1000775.jpg

1000776.jpg

1000779.jpg

So far the GPU has been idling around 30, highest I've seen it go is about 54*C. I'm pretty happy with this build :D.

Now I have to figure out this stupid Windows Live Gamer thing so I can save my progress in Dirt2. I tried using my normal MSN account but it sent me to some webpage and after I get all setup it says page unavailable... :cry:

I'll have to do some benches and update my sig :).

Thanks :). Tried my best for the wire management, it could be better but I don't really want to cut giant holes in the mobo tray ;). My right side panel is a pain to get on too, I had to use both feet and hands to get it on :p.

Did a few more things today. I added two more fans :). One is on the other side of the CPU heatsink, and one is in front of the northbridge, both being held on by velcro. Yes it's ghetto, but it works. The fan I'm using for the northbridge is actually the stock heatsink fan for my 965. The other fan that's on the heatsink is just a Cooler Master 120mm case fan (one of these: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans). Right now THRM is at 18*C and CPU cores are at 24*C (idling). I also used a 3-pin fan extension (sleeved it too (also sleeved the northbridge fan cable)) so I could route the sidepanel fan out of sight from the window, the window looks pretty cool now. No random wires hanging :).
1000839w.jpg

1000841.jpg

1000842g.jpg

I put those screws in the fan to act as a spacer between the heatsink and fan so the blades wouldn't touch.
1000843.jpg

1000844u.jpg

1000845c.jpg

1000849y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom