First building experience was terrible (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumbie I read all through this thread as I have a build to make myself, so Iam trying to learn also. As for why buy from NewEgg..... I could write a short story, or a long one. I dont even bother looking for parts any where else, I dont think any orther supplier could come close to New Egg. Building a PC takes several parts, economy of shipping for one save shipping from one vender, many items ship free, Supirior customer support, 3 day shipping everytime, no hassle returns , RMA's, for any defective item.. you can talk personally to a human for questions and tech support,,,,,,,,, nuf said.

As others have said the odds of 3 DOA parts is unheard of, I also suspect one bad item caused the other two.

You will enjoy this comp for the learning curve thus far.

You wonder why us "rookies" are freaking out about building our own PC's. Although having poor experiences with retail bought HP and definitely having heard nightmare experiences with Dell,etc. I am stuck in not knowing what to you. Gumbie -please keep us informed, I am hoping to see that your perseverance pays off in the end. Thus giving the rest of us some confidence.

Just imagine now the actual satisfication of knowning you built it, when freinds ask about it.

I honestly believe it wAsn't your fault at all, and double dog bet it was a chain effect.

Sucks now, but it happens to everyone, so be hAppy....... your bad luck has been used up for a long while.

Yeah I'm returning everything except ram, cpu, case, hard drive and dvd drive. Any suggestions on a video card round 80 bucks? the hd 4870/50's good? No way in **** I'm giving up, been wanting to build a pc since like 2005. The mobo on my current pc sucks, and I have a geforce fx 5200, which came out in like 03. So I'm tired of playing stuff on all lowest settings and still lagging, and the socket on my mobo cant even support a dual core cpu. So I'm sticking with it, and will let you guys know when I get it finalized. Hopefully after I send this stuff back tomorrow, and order new parts, I'll be good. The guy at the computer shop said I should get a motherboard with integraded graphics. He said I'd laugh at him but said this would help me tell whether or not my mobo is bad or my GPU.

Well Gumbie, I have only built one computer, but my son and his friends have built many, They actually put mine together after I picked all the parts. In all those builds I have never heard of any DOA parts , and pretty much we all purchase all the parts from NewEgg. I myself have only purchased from NewEgg, never anywhere else, and have only had one bad External case I had to RMA.

So 1) that you would would have to return any or multiple items to NewEgg, is unheard of, 2) that you would have this much trouble with a build is unheard of.

So for anyone considering a PC build, this is not the norm.

There are basically two groups of people using or buying a PC.
1) Group one don't know much about them, don't want to, they just want the computer to work out of the box, no hassles. They buy Dell, HP, Apple etc.
2) Group two know something or a lot about a PC, they game or do more than just use the PC. They want control and want to pick their parts for maximum use, enjoyment.That group picks their parts and builds their own, so they have control , options to upgrade, and enjoy putting their own together, that would be most of us on this forum.

As for the advice from the store Clerk to buy on board graphics, that's not why you build your own PC, you build one to have a great video card , not to be stuck with some low end onboard graphics.I don't think he knows much about building a PC. And you want separate components for upgrade and troubleshooting .

I asked him and he said it was to see if the mobo or graphics card worked. And then get a dedicated graphics card after that.

I asked him and he said it was to see if the mobo or graphics card worked. And then get a dedicated graphics card after that.

Did you buy the one that Trotter specd in the thread you had? I believe it did have an onboard..

It is a smart move if you find a board that fits your needs, and has an onboard.

Yeah I'm returning everything except ram, cpu, case, hard drive and dvd drive. Any suggestions on a video card round 80 bucks? the hd 4870/50's good? No way in **** I'm giving up, been wanting to build a pc since like 2005. The mobo on my current pc sucks, and I have a geforce fx 5200, which came out in like 03. So I'm tired of playing stuff on all lowest settings and still lagging, and the socket on my mobo cant even support a dual core cpu. So I'm sticking with it, and will let you guys know when I get it finalized. Hopefully after I send this stuff back tomorrow, and order new parts, I'll be good. The guy at the computer shop said I should get a motherboard with integraded graphics. He said I'd laugh at him but said this would help me tell whether or not my mobo is bad or my GPU.

Hey gumbi sorry I've been gone for awhile had a problem with my family this week and was not able to read your topic all the way through for the past 5 days.

Listen though you haven't picked up a mobo from newegg yet have you ?
Me, patonb if he agrees and someone else will pick out a better motherboard for you.
I never did expect have of your parts to be DOA, the mobo I knew was a problem but good grief dude...

This is just very bad luck Gumbi......do not let this get you down.

Most of the time builds , are for the most part , trouble free.

Once you get it up and running, you are gonna be so proud and have learned so much....that you will be able to solve most of your own problems with pcs from now on.

You will always want to build from this point on....Good Luck.

Yeah it's just one of those things that I expected to work first try, probly won't get it finished till after christmas unfortunately now. Very dissapointing at first, but I'm sticking with it. All I need is a Mobo and graphics card if anyone has a suggestion? Mobo that has 4 ram slots. Hoping to spend around 150 total for the two (can spend more but this would be ideal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom