SSD Setup? +Ghosting q's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
Just ordered an OCZ Vertex SSD 30g for the big rig.. I read somewhere about setup or tweaking?? It should be just plug and play, right??

Does anyone ever over-volt their SB during overclocking?

Now as far as ghosting a drive, I've read on here that it's not a way to back up your work. I'm running off a 40g WDC Drive now.. Can I ghost it over to the SSD so I don't lose anything?? Anyone recommend a good ghost program? I have one on my storage drive, Norton Ghost, IIRC..

I've used Ghost and partition magic before to do it. There are others out there, like Acronis.

^ I'm just wondering if ghosting is a successful way to duplicate the drive so I don't lose anything.. Will I lose game data from MW2?

My buddy has told me about ghosting before, but I've never done it. Is it writing an ISO image to a CD and loading it?

SSD's are plug and play right? -Stupid question.

Dunno about the SSDs as I don't have one. >.<

You have to install the new drive, and then have Ghost make the copy on it. Just make sure that Ghost includes the MBR (master boot record) in the copy and you are good to go.

I recommend doing a "Fresh Install" on the SSD. All your data can be backed-up and transfered later.

I recommend doing a "Fresh Install" on the SSD. All your data can be backed-up and transfered later.

+1. I have read that ghosting to a SSD can cause alignment problems that negatively impact performance. Supposedly there are workaround but they aren't very straitforward and there is no guarantee they will work.

If you are running Windows 7 the SSD should be plug and play but if you are running Vista you should do the following

-Disable disk defragmentation on the SSD
-Disable superfetch, boot prefetching, application launch prefetching, ReadyBoost and ReadDrive
-When partitioning the drive make sure the new partition is created with the correct alignment.

Those are taken from the list of changes Windows 7 automatically makes when it detects a SSD. You may also want to check OCZ's forums since they will have more information about your specific SSD that might be helpful.

When you get your drive you'll want to make sure you have firmware 1.4 for Windows 7 (Trim Support) or firmware 1.41 for Windows Vista (No Trim support, instead it supports the Garbage Collection Utility)
Discussion 1.40 / 1.41 FW UPDATERS HERE - OCZ Forum

And you should look at these before you begin.
Guides and Important InFo - OCZ Forum

Once your ready to install Windows insert the firmware disc 1st. If your drive already has the correct firmware then you can exit out of the utility, if you need to flash it do so now. :D

Once Windows is installed you'll want to go here and adjust a few settings :D
OCZ Forum - View Single Post - Guide Windows 7 end user tweaks and tips

Guide SSD Tweak Utility - OCZ Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom