SATA Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Yes I'm aware of the sticky at the top. I've read through it a couple times now. One thing I wanted to ask is, is it absolutely necessary to have the floppy to set up the 3rd party drivers that needs to be installed before actually installing windows or will those same drivers also come on the CD they provide full of drivers. I know a lot of computers that don't even have floppy's now a-days hence my question. If not I suppose I could just burn the info from the floppy to a CD and access it that way correct? Any help is much appreciated thanks

yes it is neccesary to have the driver files, the Windows instalation won't detect the drive otherwise, but I don't know if it would work on a CD if you had only one CD drive. if you had 2 it would be okay because you'd have the Windows CD in one and the driver CD in another

what if I burn the winXP CD and create another folder on the CD with the files from the floppy? Can windows then look on it's own CD for the folder. I mean it should right as long as you point it to the directory?

just create a slipstream XP installation cd and include all the stuff you need, including any service packs and drivers.

Nubius said:
is it absolutely necessary to have the floppy to set up the 3rd party drivers that needs to be installed before actually installing windows

No
I know a lot of computers that don't even have floppy's now a-days hence my question.

naturally

If not I suppose I could just burn the info from the floppy to a CD and access it that way correct? Any help is much appreciated thanks

Drivers are drivers no matter what media they are located on, you can download the drivers and burn them to a cd on an other machine. After all you need to do is set cd-burner to primary boot put in cd and then shut off. Your computer should boot from the cd before windows is installed as would a floppy disk. It has the same instructions remember

Drivers are drivers no matter what media they are located on, you can download the drivers and burn them to a cd on an other machine. After all you need to do is set cd-burner to primary boot put in cd and then shut off. Your computer should boot from the cd before windows is installed as would a floppy disk. It has the same instructions remember

It's not a matter of booting from the CD. That's just a normal windows installation. I know how to do this. It's when the CD First boots up at the bottom it says PRESS F6 TO INSTALL 3RD PARTY DRIVERS and it wants you to point at the place where these drivers are. Well I'm working with 1 cd-rom and no floppy, so my only choice is to either, hope that I can take out the winXP CD when it wants those drivers, pop in the burned CD with the floppy drivers, or create a disk that has winXP and the drivers on it.

just create a slipstream XP installation cd

What's making a slipstream XP installation CD mean? Specifically I've never heard the word slipstream as far as an installation CD goes.

A slipstream installation is essentially this. You can copy the contents of the i386 folder, SP downloads, driver info (EVEN sata drivers), and even some office crap into a customized installation cd. So when you install XP from the cd, it will install the needed drivers, SP, etc. Very handy to use.

Killian - is there some special way to go about doing this? I've got a winXP CD and I want to take the contents of that as well as the contents of this floppy and put them both on a seperate CD. The SATA Drivers will be all I need as they are the only ones that require a floppy way in the beginning of installation.

Thanks for the info Killian and I appreciate your help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom