new buy for mid gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
I know , I know - build it yourself. But, time is money and then add skill, knowledge, etc. and buying a used computer is looking better and better. Tried building with arranged help- but it fell thru twice - so now looking to buy.

Computer will be used for gaming on a 52 inch plasma.

Current best find - one year old college student build who needs money.

Q6600 2.4 ghz LGA 775
Gagabyte GA-EP45-ud3r mobo
Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL PSU
EVGA 9800GT 512 MG videocard
Munshkin 4 gb ( 2x2gb) 1066 DDr2 memory
Samsung 22x DVD black burner SATA
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb HD
Creative soundblaster audiology SE 7.1 PCI sound card.
Win7 ultimate ( recovery code only) installed and running
Coolermaster ATX mid tower case.
All for $600.

Will it run Crysis /far Cry - other demanding games on the plasma? Worth the money ? thanks guys

My estimated value are as follows:

Q6600 $130
ud3r $80
PSU $35
9800GT $75
mushkin $80
dvd $25
caviar black $50
sound blaster $20
case $50
----------------------------
$545

win7 ultimate ---- only worth money if it's legal
since no disk provided, guessing it's shady

priced okay I guess

skill? knowledge?
I kinda want to say there is none involved if you just run everything at stock

it's really not as hard as you think
I was the same as you before I built my first PC back in '07

after I received my parts, it's like lego
parts only fit one way, you can't put something into where they are not suppose to go
it just doesn't fit, physically

It'll lay far cry, bnut i doubt crysis.

I was spec'd very simular, and the 9800gt starts coughing up, on higher games. If the bq's old enough, OCing is a dream..

I'd go for 500 on it unless he/she csan produce the legit dvd. I'm betting its a bulk license thing.

Its a good price for a complete system that includes q6600, 9800gt and 500gb hdd if it were bought new. Used id be wanting a discount not a premium. The problem i have with it is your buying parts that are already several years old, and in the PC business things get outdated quickly and your starting from behind.
I tried building a comp around a athlon II X3 and 5770 gfx card, came to $675 b4 shipping.

To give you comparison on what you can have, and if you change your mind to build it, here it is:

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$77

Mobo - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
$60

Ram - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory
$83

GFX - Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$165

Case/PSU - Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases
$110

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$45

DVD drive - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
$29

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
$105

Total: $675

Not considering the copy of Windows 7, the computer he mentioned doesn't have a legal copy of Windows 7, your build is a little cheaper and is more future proof. I would with that!

Again - it looks like I need to get on the stick and get over my fear and build it myself- I don't suppose any of you guys live around Pittsburgh and would be interested in getting hired to teach/build. The other thing is that I know if a build it- I will get better components so I wont have to build/tweek, etc. for years- which means more $$$. Yes, it will be a great setup ( if I do it right) - but I am worried about screwing up and breaking something or not understanding how to load the OS, etc. and end up spending the $1000 and not have a working system. Yes - I think the Win7 intimate is from an University bulk license- so not legal . TO run Xp dont you have to have win7 ultimate or pro?

you could buy from a place like Ibuypower.com They pre-assemble the computer that you get to choose components for. Will be a little more expensive than building it urself, but it will come with all components installed and working, and a warranty for the computer in entirety.

I will check that out. DO they come with all the bloatware, norton, etc. that you cant get off??

I will check that out. DO they come with all the bloatware, norton, etc. that you cant get off??

I believe they dont install the OS, so theres no bloatware.

I was just looking at the site, from another post here, and this guys build off a "gamer paladin e750" config was surpsingly good for the items. We'll prob have to look at the amd builds tho, intel core-i5's kept running up over $1000.
This is the thread http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/need-some-expert-advice-221707/

You say your budget is $1000? I can play around with configs on the site later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom