Too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vader3120

Solid State Member
Was checking the stock temps on my new build before doing anything.

Speedfan with case open

i7 920 stock heatsink and fan
12gb corsair
NZXT Case 120mmx2 80x2
GTX 260 216
Kingwin 700

Idle
CPU - 25
0 - 38
1 - 38
2 - 35

Prime95 after about 10second
CPU - 80
0 - 89
1 - 89
2 - 89

Ummm what gives? I have read that speedfan is not the most accurate, i downloaded realtemp and will try that after work.

Try Hardware Monitor for temps: CPUID

Do you have an OC at all? Stock temps seem fine but those temps after 10 seconds of Prime95 are way too hot.

Nope no OC. Comp has only ran about 30 hours. I have installed most of my programs from my external and setup my XMBC and watched some movies. Havent had time yet to start playing with it and OC.

Didnt see where i could change the fan to 100%, there is a turbo mode option for the fans though.

I left my flash drive at work and the computer at home doesnt have internet yet.

Same story though with CPUID and realtemp.

I came to the conclusion that the stock heatsink and thermalpaste is crap, and got a Thermaltake Q Spin. Got that installed and set the fan to high. Used 91% alcohol to clean the CPU.

Min: Max:
0 - 32 89
1 - 31 88
2 - 32 89
3 - 31 87

Although this took about 90 seconds to reach those temps. It wasnt a jump it was more of a steady climb. I don't know if the paste needs to set and break in or what.

I opened up my 3D Modeling Program and opened up a fairly large file to test something else out and under 15% load it was consistantly around 57degree.

I would re-seat the heatsink with new thermal paste. But make sure you clean both the CPU and heatsink of the old paste. I use rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter on mine.

Just read some reviews on this heatsink, and hear some mixed stuff. A couple people thinking that there was a bad tube possibly. So maybe i just get the best cooler there is for the i7 the Thermalright IFX and throw some 140mm fans on it.

I think there might be some better heat sinks out there like the TRUE, but I am not knowledgeable on those...maybe Slaymate will be back and can give you some good suggestions.

Turbo Mode for your fans??? Turbo Mode is for your CPU. It will increase the CPU Multiplier from 20 to 21.

To set your fans (depending on your mobo the names may be a little different) go into the Bios and look for the Section Labeled System Health or System Monitor or something simular. Then look for Smart Fan or something simular. Then you'll want to set the Fans at Manual and 100%.

The best heatsinks for the i7 920 would be, in my opinion:

#1 - True Copper - Very Heavy and the base will need to be lapped. You'll also need to buy a good 120mm fan.
Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 775 / LGA 1366 / LGA 1156* / AM2 / Xeon*) - FrozenCPU.com

#2 - True rev.C - base needs to be lapped. This heatsink comes with a fan.
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT Rev. C CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 1366) - FrozenCPU.com

#3 - Prolimatech Megahalem - You'll need to buy a good 120mm fan for this heatsink.
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1156 / 1366) (AM2** / AM2+** / AM3**) Hot Item!! - FrozenCPU.com

#4 - Noctua NH-U12P - This heatsink comes with 2 fans. I would actually say this heatsink is in a Tie with #3 above.
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Heat Sink With 2 Noctua Fans (Socket AM2, AM3, 775, 1366, 1156) - FrozenCPU.com

The Best Low-Priced Heatsink would be the Sunbeam Core Contact. It comes with a fan but you'll need to order the LGA1366 retention Bracket.
Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer Universal CPU Cooler (CR-CCTF) - FrozenCPU.com
Sunbeam LGA 1366 Core i7 Socket Retention Bracket Set (CR-LGA1366) - FrozenCPU.com

Here is a link to a lapping kit if you choose a Thermalright Heatsink.
FrozenCPU Deluxe Heatsink Lapping Kit - FrozenCPU.com

Here's a YouTube Video about lapping :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom