Which PC should I go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Alright so I'm looking for a PC for my father. He doesn't game or do anything that really requires a hi-speed PC. His current computer is wayyy too slow. It drives me nuts when I head home and use his. I'm debating on two PC's. Both of which will probably run out of stock quickly.

This first one I can get for $262 after the Bing cashback. It's also a good case for any possible upgrades. I was thinking about maybe buying a $20-$30 graphics card. (But probably not needed) It bugs me that processor is a 1.8GHz, but again he really only uses the internet and a few other programs at any given time.
Gateway DX4200-09 Refurbished Desktop PC - AMD Phenom X4 9100e 1.80GHz, 4GB DDR2, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

This next one has a faster processor and is running on DDR3 ram. It's a small case so I won't be able to grab a video card for it. I can get this for about $305 after the Bing cashback.
Gateway SX2800-03 Refurbished Desktop PC - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

I'm leading towards the cheaper one as I don't think he'd need anything else. But then again I don't want to cheap out on my father. I want him to have one that runs quick and is good for all of his needs. Does anyone see anything in these builds that should detour me away or possibly make it an even better buy? What do you recommend? Thanks

I would get the Intel. $40 more and quite a bit faster. If he doesn't play games , why would you want to get an aftermarket vid card unless it's for you when you visit? :silly: Seriously , that's really cheap for a computer that should last a while. I say get it.

P.S. I like how this is in the " building , buying , upgrading high performance pc's" section :thumbsup:

Hmm I jumped on it before seeing any responses :) I grabbed the AMD, even though I'm an intel fan. Also maybe this should be moved to the other section. Sorry about that! But any who the reason I'm posting is to see if anyone can recommend some upgrades. I'm looking for a cheap graphics card and maybe a better processor. I'd most likely need a PSU too. If you guys have some advice on these I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Oh and on another note. I have two 8800GT's in my current rig. Sadly I haven't been able to run SLI ever since I purchased the video cards sense I have 3 monitors. Since 1 of the GPU's is basically being worthless I was thinking about throwing it in the new rig and replacing it with a cheap card just to keep my monitor on. What do you recommend I replace it with if I go this route?

The newest nVidia drivers (well anything after Big Bang 180) should give SLI support to multiple monitors.

The newest nVidia drivers (well anything after Big Bang 180) should give SLI support to multiple monitors.

Woahhhhhh really?! Sweet, I'm gonna jump right on that then. I haven't stayed too up to date lately. Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom