Odd problem adding new memory to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I recently attempted to upgrade one of my pcs by adding two 1G sticks. I get the black screen of death on startup, even the mobo bios doesn't appear on the monitor.

When I remove the sticks everything is fine.

This is odd to me because I have added memory on many other computers and it has never been a big deal.

I'm guessing this happened because of my op system? I have Vista Business edition student version. Is this some security feature in vista?

My op system is only 32 bit, so I can only use 3G, tried to install 4G but didn't think that would be a problem.

I'm using exactly the same memory as before, Corsiar dominator pc2-8500 c5.

If these sticks are bad, could they cause the black screen of death on startup?

Thanks

What kind of computer are you trying to install the ram in? Did you build it yourself or is it a prebuilt? What brand is the prebuilt?

even if you have a 32-bit os, putting 4 or more gigs of ram isnt supposed to give you a problem. windows will just not recognize all the ram, you shouldnt get any errors.

try one stick at a time to see if one stick might be bad.

I built this computer about 3 years ago. It has an Asus mobo and a wolfdale dual processor.

asus p5k-e/wifi mobo

e8400 wolfdale dual core

I've had boot problems with this computer once before, no startup, just the black screen of death. But flashing the bios fixed that. I figured it had been corrupted by a virus. That was 1 year ago.

I would also check Asus's website for any advisory about the bios having a problem with certain brands or that amount of memory and see if there is a flash for it.

One of the sticks is bad. It causes another computer to fail at bootup as well.

I guess it wasn't so tricky after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom