Can I install Win7 with a backup disk ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
I bought the student discount upgrade a while back and also got the backup CD of Win7 Professional. I know this version is made to upgrade from Vista to Win7. I am going to install a different MB on my computer, and format and install windows on my HD anyway. So I was thinking I would like to try to install Win 7 fresh copy if I can , but I'm not sure how to.

OK I put the DVD in my computer and read some of the info, guess I should have done that first. It says I can do a Custom install which is a fresh install with no operating system into a clean partition. So I guess that should work, Has anyone else done this so far?? Anything else I need to know?? I know my computer can handle Win7 , the CPU is AMD Athlon 64 x2 and I'll have 4 gig ram , plenty of storage so I should be fine.

Please check the Win7 FAQ thread as this information is already there. Yes it maybe long, but the answers are there.

Thanks Mak213, I should have looked there first, I'm still learning my way around this site.

Read all through that Win7 FAQ thread, I read one post where you said the upgrade DVD must see a previous version of windows to install. So it wont install on a HD with no windows operating system. Reading off the upgrade DVD it says : choose a Custom install to install windows on the partition you select.This deletes your programs and settings on that partition.

It also says you cant directly upgrade from XP to 7, then says use easy transfer to save your settings. I guess it means you cant directly upgrade with out loosing settings, as it also says, Use Custom when you want to replace your current operating system.

So I will be installing a new MB, reassemble it all, leave the C drive as is with WinXP on it, boot from DVD with upgrade DVD, it will see WinXP on the partition, then give me the option to delete that and do a fresh install I think????

OK I think I found it, with Win XP running, insert the upgrade DVD and at the prompt choose Custom install which wipes my WinXP out and gives me a clean Win7 .

So I guess this Win7 Upgrade DVD is a full Win7 but since it is not boot-able, I will have to always install it from within a Windows version. Thus making a reformat, reinstall a double process??? I wonder if I can upgrade somehow to a full boot-able DVD from Microsoft??

Alright let me clarify this.

1. Win7 requires that you have a legit license for a previous version of Windows. It is stated by Microsoft that you start the install from within that previous version and at the correct time use the Custom Option.

2. I know i have posted it up and i know it is on this site, search Bing or Google, and you will find all sorts of answers to how to accomplish this. Not all are backed by Microsoft but they will work.

3. No you can't get a full disk. You have a upgrade serial not a full serial. You cant use the media of a full retial copy and a upgrade serial. They are not interchangeable.

4. the Upgrade Media can be made bootable. There are topics about that in the Tips and Tricks area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom