Which laptop is better for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansmith46

Beta member
the sony vaio VPC-CW17FX/W or the Toshiba Satellite A505-S6986? i want to play empire total war and battlefield 2142

the sony specs:

Processor BrandIntel®
ProcessorIntel® Core™2 Duo
Processor Speed2.2GHz
Battery Type6-cell lithium-ion
Display TypeLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)14"
System Bus800MHz
Cache Memory2MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM)4GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To8GB
Type of Memory (RAM)DDR3
Hard Drive TypeSATA (5400 rpm)
Computer Hard Drive Size500GB
Optical DriveDouble-layer DVD±RW/Blu-ray Disc/CD-RW
Optical Drive SpeedsDrive speeds not specified
Direct-Disc LabelingNo
Digital Media Reader or SlotsYes, digital media card reader
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce G210M GPU
Video Memory2031MB (total available)
TV TunerNo
MPEGYes
Built-in WebcamYes
ModemNone
NetworkingBuilt-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless NetworkingWireless-B+G+N
Bluetooth-EnabledYes
S-Video OutputsNone
Additional Audio/Video ConnectorsHDMI
AudioIntel® High Definition
PCMCIA Slots1 ExpressCard/34
USB 2.0 Ports3
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports1
Parallel PortsNone
Game PortsNone
Laptop WeightUltraportable (5.5 lbs. or less)
Battery LifeUp to 4 hours
Battery Life Range3.5 to 4.5 hours
Pointing DeviceElectrostatic touchpad
HDMI OutputYes
Blu-ray PlayerYes
Operating System PlatformWindows
Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Included SoftwareMicrosoft Works SE 9.0; VAIO Multimedia Suite and more
ENERGY STAR QualifiedYes

The toshiba Specs

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6600
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 800MHz memory
Memory Size: 4GB
Memory Speed: DDR3 800MHz memory
Display Size: 16.0" widescreen
Display Type: HD TruBrite® LCD Display
Display Resolution: Supports 720p content, 1366x768 (HD)
Graphics Engine: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 230M
Graphics Memory: 2814MB total: 1GB GDDR3 discrete memory + up to 1790MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology
Hard Drive: 400GB HDD (5400rpm)
Hard Drive Size: 400GB
Hard Drive Speed: 5400rpm
Secondary Hard Drive Size: None Available
Optical Drive: DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflashâ„¢ drive
Optical Drives: DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflashâ„¢ drive supporting up to 11 formats
Wireless: Realtek® 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Wireless LAN: Realtek® 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Bluetooth: No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
Webcam: Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
Inputs and Controls: CD/DVD Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Prev Track, Next Track), eco (Energy-saving mode) button, TouchPadâ„¢ pointing device with multi touch control, Media button, 104 key US keyboard with 10-key pad, Mute button
Security and Protection: Security Cable Lock Slot, HDD Recovery
Modem: Modem
LAN: 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Audio: harman/kardon® stereo speakers, Headphone jack (stereo), S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port), Microphone jack (mono), Built-in microphone
AC Adapter: 90W (19V x 4.74A) 100-240V AC Adapter
Battery: Li-Ion (4000mAh, 6-Cell)
Battery Life: Up to 2.25 hours
PC Express Slot: 1-ExpressCardâ„¢ Slot
Media: S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port), Memory Card Reader
USB Ports: 3-USB (2.0), 1-eSATA/USB (2.0) combo port with Sleep and Charge
iLINK: i.LINKâ„¢ IEEE-1394
HDMI: HDMI-CEC output port
Software: TOSHIBA ConfigFree®, TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator, TOSHIBA DVD Player, TOSHIBA Face Recognition, TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor (3D sensor), WildTangent® Orb™ Games Console, Dolby® Sound Room®, TOSHIBA Power Saving eco utility, Corel® DVD MovieFactory® for TOSHIBA, TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor, Norton Internet Security™ 2009 (30 day trial) , Hard disc (HDD) recovery, Microsoft® Works Version 9.0 , Microsoft® Office Trial Home and Student 2007 Edition (60-day trial) , TOSHIBA Disc Creator
Weight: Starting at 6.48 lbs.
Color: Fusion Finishâ„¢ with Sonic Pattern in Black Onyx
Standard Limited Warranty: 1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery
Extras: Dual-core Processor, HDMI port, USB Sleep-and-Charge, S/P DIF Digital Audio Port, Numeric 10-key Pad, PC Health Monitor, Advanced/Discrete Graphics, EPEAT™ Gold Compliant, Energy Star Compliant, Eco Utility, Hard Drive Impact Sensor, harman/kardon® speakers, eSATA USB Combo Port, TouchPad with Multi-touch Control , Memory Card Reader, Face Recognition, Webcam and Mic
FM Tuner with Antenna: No FM Tuner with Antenna

I'd personally recommend the sony, unless you can get the satellite in a higher resolution. solely because the pixels will be larger and more obvious on the toshiba.but you will probably want the toshiba for the graphics.
here are some other things to think about:

the sony is led backlit, so it'll be brighter.
the toshiba is(slightly) more powerful-- has faster graphics--, and has a numpad, which always comes into use eventually.
the toshiba has a glossy display, so it will be good in low-light conditions, but not so great if a light is on behind you(i can't confirm the sony's non-gloss finish).
the hard drives on both are the same speed, but larger size on the sony.
the sony has a blu-ray drive, so good if, well, if you want to watch a blu-ray movie, satellite has a standard dvd drive.

sum: sony-better screen, best if you want to travel, better battery life.
satellite-faster graphics, built-in modem.
in most other respects they are pretty much on-par with each other. hit up some reviews before making a final decision.

hope iv'e helped :thumbsup:

Netbook WILL NOT be able to run games. I've seen netbooks that can't run microsoft excel. Netbooks are made for portability and web surfing, that is about it. Unless you just want to play solitar stay away from netbooks for gaming.

Yea, people should take a clue from the name of it, netbook.

Really doesn't do anything but that..

OP should just tell us his budget and where he can order from.

Netbook WILL NOT be able to run games. I've seen netbooks that can't run microsoft excel. Netbooks are made for portability and web surfing, that is about it. Unless you just want to play solitar stay away from netbooks for gaming.
Well actually.... :p
I play cs 1.6, audiosurf, torchlight, morrowind and a lot of other stuff on mine.

But I get your point, yea you shouldn't buy a netbook for gaming or even expect it too. Most of the games I mentioned run on lowest settings and terrible framerate until I mod/config them.

it's a bit of a stretch to call 14" a netbook, and considering it has discrete graphics it will outperform every netbook(11" or less is my rule for identifying them) in existence to date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom