Good PC which worked perfectly now lags a lot on startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is no one able to suggest anything? I have collected some data and taken on some other advice from friends, this data might give you a better idea of my problem:

Memtest - 5 passes, 0 errors
Safe Mode 'minimal' services - Quick startup, but perhaps because it's 'minimal' services?

I timed a regular startup:

Time to pass welcome screen and see desktop: 35 Seconds (After 35 seconds, the desktop loads, no icons)
Time to load icons: 13 Seconds
Total time till I am able to start using my PC: Approx 5 minutes.

Now, am I exaggerating?

Hardware degrades over time, just like anything else.

Its very possible that there is nothing wrong with any of the hardware and it cannot be fixed unless your willing to purchase new items.

My pc isn't as fast as it was when all the parts were new even after formatting, deal with it or spend money..

Thats the bottom line.

Though I would suggest a few things that "may" help.

Don't use an anti virus or any active scanning programs (Manual scan with hijackthis on malwarebytes once a month), set page file to a static 1512 MB, disable system restore. Look up windows 7 tweaking guides.
Have as little data on the desktop as possible, having large storage folders on the OS drive will slow things down, its faster to have them on another drive or separate partition.
Try disabling super fetch, or whatever its called.

Another option is to overclock.

Thanks for your reply, Ste, but I don't think I should yet be looking to buy ''new items''. I got this PC just over a year ago, and when I got it I spent a lot of money on it, things are a bit more expensive here in Turkey, but it cost me about 1800 USD to get this setup, and at that time these components were pretty good. Yes, technology moves fast, but I'm sorry, ''hardware degrades over time'' does not explain why my PC takes 5 minutes to get itself into a usable state. Not even my sister's old laptop from 2005, or the terrible desktops at my school from 2005 or so, load this slow. So I don't think thats a valid answer.

I know this for sure, removing my anti virus software, or disabling system restore, or any of the other suggestions you made, are going to make little, if any, difference. I have only about 20 things on my desktop. It takes up less than 1/4 of my monitor.

But thank you for your reply. Does anyone else have any ideas?

prisonbreak, you never came back with anything about the fluctuating of the cpu speed. my guess would be the speedstep. bios update or setting?

Septic, what are you talking about? Fluctuating cpu speed?

Ste, I think there is some other problem going on here. I know for a fact, the things you recommend won't change a thing. I know it might sound ignorant that I'm not taking your advice, but since I formatted this PC when the problem first came up, and the problem continued to occur, I'm sure this has nothing to do with small tweaks like that. Sorry.

Septic, what are you talking about? Fluctuating cpu speed?
fluctuating = constantly changing
And why do you think my CPU Frequency constantly changes from 2GHz to 3.16GHz?

Ste, I think there is some other problem going on here. I know for a fact, the things you recommend won't change a thing. I know it might sound ignorant that I'm not taking your advice, but since I formatted this PC when the problem first came up, and the problem continued to occur, I'm sure this has nothing to do with small tweaks like that. Sorry.
your firm on your beliefs, ah, formatting didn't touch bios. which is where 2 of us are curious if this is the fix.
be carefull updating bios. done wrong\ mb done.

Thanks for trying to help guys. Ste, I just looked at the system restore properties. It seemed to suggest that the system restore files were taking up 56GB ? :O

I just clicked turn off system restore, I actually think that might make some change, I am going to restart my PC in a sec and see if the problem continues.

@Septic: I checked my bios...My bios is the same as it was a few months back. It hasn't changed, but maybe ''speedstep'' is enabled, I don't know. When I was going through the BIOS, though, I didn't find anything like that. If anyone knows about the BIOS interface that I have, perhaps they can inform me of where I would find such an option and enable or disable it, if it is there.

I'll be back in a few, and edit this to let you know what disabling system restore has done for me. Thanks for your help so far guys.

we need to know what version bios you have?

MWSnap04812-10-09.jpg

in my bios Extreme tweaker > overclocking > Intel SpeedStep is disabled.
my AI tuning is set to auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom