Can I JBOD with a single WD Velociraptor + 2 40g HDDs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I have two 40G WDC's and I'm shopping for a larger drive that I can possibly use to store my music on.. I need it on a computer with mass-storage instead of on a removable HDD..

I found a 150g WD VelociRaptor for a decent price.. And I figured it's up there with SSD performance specs, so I'd try it out..

Can I JBOD the WDVr with the two other WDC 40g's and still see a performance gain?? or would this almost kill the speed of the WDVr??

Yes I understand the drawbacks to RAID, as well..

JBOD isn't for performance, its for adding many smaller disks to make one larger one.

If the drives are not the same specifications you may not see any increase in performance..

^ Well, I was doing some reading and 2 WDVr's in RAID0 are a cheap alternative to a big SSD drive(s).. I'm still waiting for a newer release of SSD's to bring some of the price down..

I'd like about 300g for my big rig, but I don't feel like spending $700 to get it with SSD's..

JBOD is literally just what it stands for, just a bunch of disks.

If you want performance keep the Raptor by itself for programs, os and whatnot, and store data on the slower 40gb drives.

^ Well, I was doing some reading and 2 WDVr's in RAID0 are a cheap alternative to a big SSD drive(s).. I'm still waiting for a newer release of SSD's to bring some of the price down..

I'd like about 300g for my big rig, but I don't feel like spending $700 to get it with SSD's..

No reasonable amount of Velociraptors in RAID will even come close to matching the random read and random write speeds of a Intel or Indilinx SSD.

AnandTech: The SSD Improv: Intel & Indilinx get TRIM, Kingston Brings Intel Down to $115

From a performance standpoint your best option would be buying a 80gb Intel X25-M G2 for your OS and some applications along with a large conventional drive to store everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom