How might I add a more effective GPU fan on my new Galaxy GTS 250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I'm not to sure if the rebrand is as Bkolk explain it is the right rebranded. Unless a company dumped there 9800gtx+s and These companys snapped them up and rebadged them as 250s. They did change them, they require a single pci-e plug now.

Either way, you should have no issues... what my 260s have is the fan mannual set at 50% and so under full load theyh never peak 65C. Remember, nvidia cards are good to 110C. I use evga precision to change my settings. Works for any nvidia based card.

RE the 295, its actually 2 260s in one package... wlrth it if you have something big and impressive... i'm talking bank account.

As for airflow, try to keep wiresout of the way and such is the best way.

Patonb,

Thanks again for your words of encouragement! And I am also not sure if my GTS 250's are rebadged 9800 gtx's but since I do not have the hefty bank account for a 295'er, I have chosen to be happy with the GTS 250's. I did notice when I took these 250's out of the box that they have TWO of the 6 pin PCI-e plug receivers. I am not sure what exactly that means in regards to rebadged, but their website says I must have a minumum of 450 watt PSU with a minimum of 24 amps to power this card.

This is why I have not actually installed the card yet. My COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAR 600W ATX form factor 12V V2.01 Power Supply provides only 18 amps on each of the 12 volt rails.

I must first uninstall it and install either the new Apevia 680 or the Ultra LSP 650 I recently acquired. I am still vacilating between the two because they have different strong and weak points [some much more knowledgeable people recommended that I not use either]!

The APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W provides 24 and 22 amps on each of the rails whereas the Ultra LSP 650 provides 38 amps on a single rail.

I like the fact that the Apevia has 3 fans with LED's, fan control knob, UV wrapped cables, and looks real nice but I am not sure if a 24/22 amp rating is enough to power the GTS 250.

The Ultra is kind of generic looking and has one 135mm fan, is 10% more energy effective, but I suppose the 38 amp rating provides more than enough power for the GTS 250 with no questions asked...

I am waiting to make the decision and then I hope to install everything during the Christmas break.

I read up a little on the 260! Wow, you have quite a card there! Do you do lots of gaming?

Soar

Eh well I didn't mean to scare you with the re-branded stuff. It's nothing that bad (especially since you got them for a cheap price).

I think you will be fine with any of the PSU's. Just remember if it has more than 1 rail you need to balance it out some so all the power hungry parts aren't all on the same rail(this is easy to avoid with a single rail PSU). With that said I would probably recommend the single rail one. Less hassle, plus you even said it's 10% more efficient.

Eh well I didn't mean to scare you with the re-branded stuff. It's nothing that bad (especially since you got them for a cheap price).

I think you will be fine with any of the PSU's. Just remember if it has more than 1 rail you need to balance it out some so all the power hungry parts aren't all on the same rail(this is easy to avoid with a single rail PSU). With that said I would probably recommend the single rail one. Less hassle, plus you even said it's 10% more efficient.

Waffle,

Thanks for the excellent info! I am not sure how to balance out a two rail PSU. How do I know which cables go to which rail? Is there a way in which I might determine this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, three more questions: If one 12 volt is rated at 24 amps, and the other 12 volt is rated at 22 amps, how can I determine which is which?

Since the two rail Apevia has a 12 volt at 24 amps and a 12 volt at 22 amps, does this tell me that two PCI-e connectors are coming one from each rail?

Finally, when I hook up peripherals such as HD's, DVD burner, etc., will this power useage subtract from the amps available to PCI-e card?

Thanks,

Soar

Okay, as your 250s have the 2 pci-es, it is as i said, and like waffle said, great price as you can barly find 9800gtx+s at that price.

Most likely your 24A is the pci-e rail, so its all good, sand as waffle said its a balancing act. If you search the manuf site, you'll find the load balance, but my 520hx had 3 18s and ran my 260 with ease. And 2 HDs, 5 fans on my Antec 900.

When you hook up the other stuff, no, it won't steal Amps.

I wouldn't switch out the psu unless you really want to.

Hmm, I'm not to sure if the rebrand is as Bkolk explain it is the right rebranded. Unless a company dumped there 9800gtx+s and These companys snapped them up and rebadged them as 250s. They did change them, they require a single pci-e plug now.

I said its not actually an old card that was on the shelf, taken down, given a new name and sold again

I think we're saying the same thing unless mine somehow didnt come across that way. I mean to say its a new card, purposefully built to be gts 250. Just the technology used to make the card is the same technology of the 9800gtx. I think it has a die shrink as well.

And thats a great price for gts 250, you found a good deal. And as waffle says, we arnt trying to scare you with the rebranding, the card will work as it should. Just giving a little education on the background of the card.

Okay, as your 250s have the 2 pci-es, it is as i said, and like waffle said, great price as you can barly find 9800gtx+s at that price.

Most likely your 24A is the pci-e rail, so its all good, sand as waffle said its a balancing act. If you search the manuf site, you'll find the load balance, but my 520hx had 3 18s and ran my 260 with ease. And 2 HDs, 5 fans on my Antec 900.

When you hook up the other stuff, no, it won't steal Amps.

I wouldn't switch out the psu unless you really want to.

Patonb,

Ok, thanks for the info. Now I can't wait to try this set up!

Soar

I said its not actually an old card that was on the shelf, taken down, given a new name and sold again

I think we're saying the same thing unless mine somehow didnt come across that way. I mean to say its a new card, purposefully built to be gts 250. Just the technology used to make the card is the same technology of the 9800gtx. I think it has a die shrink as well.

And thats a great price for gts 250, you found a good deal. And as waffle says, we arnt trying to scare you with the rebranding, the card will work as it should. Just giving a little education on the background of the card.

Bkolk,

Thanks for helping me understand the ins and outs of GPU world. And I appreciate your helping me to understand the specific background of this card. I have learned so much from you guys and now I am better equipped for the next time I will be looking for another GPU!

Soar

Bkolk,

Thanks for helping me understand the ins and outs of GPU world. And I appreciate your helping me to understand the specific background of this card. I have learned so much from you guys and now I am better equipped for the next time I will be looking for another GPU!

Soar

Um, Apevia's website recommends that I install their PSU upside down! What is considered upside down on this PSU?

Does this infer that the screened/fan side of the PSU in looking down on the computer [my M9 has the PSU installed in the top of the case, not the bottom as some of the newer cases]?

Soar

Attachments

• ATX-AS680W-BL-1_500.jpg
    ATX-AS680W-BL-1_500.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Apevia 680 Beast 1.jpg
    Apevia 680 Beast 1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Apevia 680 Beast 2.jpg
    Apevia 680 Beast 2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Apevia 680 Beast 3.jpg
    Apevia 680 Beast 3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 95

Either way, you should have no issues... what my 260s have is the fan mannual set at 50% and so under full load theyh never peak 65C. Remember, nvidia cards are good to 110C. I use evga precision to change my settings. Works for any nvidia based card.

RE the 295, its actually 2 260s in one package... wlrth it if you have something big and impressive... i'm talking bank account.

As for airflow, try to keep wiresout of the way and such is the best way.

It's actually two GTX 275 cores.

Just put it inside your case where the hole is, then see those 3 pins and switch, that has to be in the back, or you can't plug in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom