Good PC which worked perfectly now lags a lot on startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

Before I get to the problem, here is my setup:

Case - Cooler Master RC-690 460W
Mobo - Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi-Ap 1600MHz
RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9
CPU - Intel Core2Duo E8500
GPU - Zotac 9800GTX+ DDR3 512MB
PSU - High Power 650W
HDD - Seagate 500GB 32MB Sata2 7200RPM
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Monitor - Philips 22'' 220XW8FB

Everything was fine till about two months ago. I had some problems with my GPU, it went to the shop, got checked, and when they told me all was fine, I decided it wasn't so I got a 1400RPM thermaltake fan, to replace my 700RPM cooler master default fan. Since that day, my PC has been lagging a lot more on startup especially (no icons for about first 10 seconds, takes about 3 minutes before I can actually fire up a program). I am trying to understand why. Here's what I tried:

- Format PC,
- Decrease programs that startup on windows startup,
- CCleaner
- Complete Virus Check & Removal

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. However, as I was looking at things today, I noticed somethings that are quite peculiar. I opened up CPU-ID and here's what I found:

My CPU Values - Though my CPU core speed is 3.16GHz, it constantly changes from 2 to 3.16GHz
cpuzcpuvalues.jpg

My RAM values - Though my DRAM frequency on BIOS is set to 1333MHz (which I was told to set by Corsair forums when I had BSoD problems) it shows 667MHz here
cpuidramvalues.jpg

Why do you think my DRAM frequency appears as 667MHz on CPUID, while it is set to 1333MHz on BIOS? And why do you think my CPU Frequency constantly changes from 2GHz to 3.16GHz? Can these be called problems that could possibly be causing my computer to lag?

How can I proceed?
Many thanks in advance...

The CPU speed is probably changing because you have Cool N' Quiet on, which is an Intel thingy which downclocks the processor when not in use to reduce heat production.
Did you recently update the BIOS, which would likely turn this feature on?#

Since your RAM is in dual-channel, 667MHz is correct - double 667 is 1333 ;)

I can't explain why it's lagging, though. Try running a hard drive check to see if there's any problem there.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Did you recently update the BIOS, which would likely turn this feature on?#

Nope, I can't even remember the last time I updated my BIOS. Has to be at least 6 months or so, maybe more, and back then, everything worked fine.

Since your RAM is in dual-channel, 667MHz is correct - double 667 is 1333 ;).

True, I didn't realise that. So, your saying that the RAM is fine, the CPU thingy is normal...Neither of these can explain why your PC is lagging like that. Am I right?

It's probably worth updating your BIOS, it may bring you better performance.

I did say in my post to run a check on your hard drive(s), though I said it in an edit so you probably already read my post before I made it.

Don't think updating BIOS is gonna make a change, and I didn't see your edit till you mentioned it, but my hard drive is fine. Any other suggestions people??

Have you reinstalled Windows? Have you run a file integrity check? Have you run check disk?

Hey Mak, thanks for the reply.

I wrote on my original post, yes, I reinstalled Windows. No change...I've run a check disk, no problems found; how do I run a file integrity check? What does it do?

So no-one has anything to help me? Because what I believe to be a pretty good PC is performing pretty badly here. No one can guide me ?

There isnt really much to be said. I mean a format and reinstall is the ultimate step. What did you use to format? The Windows installer disk or GParted?

I formatted with the Windows disk; that's what I always do. BTW a friend just told me to start-up with safe mode and see if it still loads very slow; I just did that, I booted with safe mode with minimal services; things loaded very fast...but could we make anything from that? Because I'm guessing minimal services doesn't load many programs, thus making the start-up process A LOT faster?

What do you guys say about this? I'm not really sure if another format is going to help. Perhaps a FULL, clean format, but I don't know...I'm really trying to avoid going through the process again if possible, as I did it a few days ago and got no results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom