Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you got the problem fixed.

But I find it hard to believe that with so many people having this same problem that it is a bad video card. I have been having this problem for several months now and I have googled the problem. There are people that have the same issue with ATI cards. I believe it is a Microsoft problem more than anything.

For me, I only get the error message when I am playing a game. I have tried many different things without luck. I would like to get this problem fixed so bad.

If you'll read my 1st post you'll see this problem can arise from numerous hardware issues, not just the video card itself. But the video card is the most frequent culprit.

Well after having my card RMA'd, I still had the same problem.

I have found out what the problem is, well for me anyways. It was because I had my CPU overclocked. Once I put everything back to stock settings, it has not came back again.

I don't understand this though. Why would overclocking the CPU cause the video driver to crash? I ran Intel Burn Test a few times when the CPU was overclocked to 3.2ghz and it passed.

Whoever is having this problem may want to put your system back to stock speeds if you have it overclocked and see if this solves the problem.

I don't understand this though. Why would overclocking the CPU cause the video driver to crash? I ran Intel Burn Test a few times when the CPU was overclocked to 3.2ghz and it passed.

How long did you run Intel Burn Test? I don't think you ran it long enough. As for why it does this, When your overclocking the cpu it also overclocks other parts of the system depending on your hardware setup. So if any of the subsystems are running slightly on edge it can cause problems.

Normally when your overclocking the cpu you adjust the bus speed of the cpu. But as you increase the cpu bus it also effects the memory bus and the pci bus. Normally you can control the memory bus speed with a divider. The pci bus is slightly different. By default the system will try to maintain the pci bus at a specific speed. On newer systems it's called the pci-e bus and the system tries to keep the speed at 100 MHz. But this speed can vary a little low or high depending on the exact cpu bus speed you selected. My system gets unstable when the pci-e is below 100. And it runs best with it set to 106. But all systems are different, you'll have to find what works best for you.

I let it run 5 times and it passed. I am going to try OCCT and see what happens with that.

When I had the cpu overclocked, I had the PCI-E frequency see to 100mhz. I tried setting that to auto and that did not fix it. I heard it was risky going above 100mhz. Of course, overclocking is risky too.

I know it is hard to say but do you think that changing this setting could solve the problem? I would really like to keep it overclocked.

You let it run 5 times, but how long did it run. Or how many passes?

Yes, I think you need to try adjusting the pci-e frequency. Try adjusting it up and down until you find the setting that works best for your setup.

I ran Intel Burn Test 1 time and 5 passes. I also ran OCCT for an hour and it passed.

Is it dangerous going that far above 100mhz for the PCI-e frequency? How high would be too high? I have tried to set it on 98 through 103 and it did not help. When it is set on auto, does it stay at a certain number or is it constantly changing?

Run the Intel Burn Test for at least 20 passes to test for stability. It will heat up your cpu a lot so keep your eyes on your temperatures.

All mobo/cpu configurations are different but I wouldn't go over 110 MHz on the pci-e bus.

At the Auto Setting the pci-e bus should wavier around 99-101

Is it possible that this problem has to do with memory settings? I have manually adjusted the ram timings to the stock timings and now everything seems to load faster. On ram timings, is higher the number better or worse?

It seems like the higher I put the PCI-e frequency, the quicker the problem comes up.

I will run Intel Burn Test for 20 passes but I don't believe it is a stability problem.

Yes, your memory settings can also effect this. Anything that can cause an instability can effect another part of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom