Need to add a Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzlenet

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension L1000R desktop computer. My hard drive is almost full. It is a Seagate 18 GB, IDE. I have already upgraded the RAM to the most it will hold.

The only slot I have available is right above the 3.5" floppy drive. Will a hard drive fit into this slot?

Could you please recommend a Hard Drive? I only need around 20-40 GB since I hope to be able to buy a new computer sometime late next year. I mostly use my computer for online homework.

The 3.5" floppy disk looks like it clips in. There are no extra clips where I would install the hard drive. Do the drives install from the front of the computer?

yes it will fit, depending on the case you'll either need to screw or clip it into place.

You'll find that 80-160gb drives are priced roughly the same...I'd grab something like this:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJB 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I determine if my CD-ROM is set at Master or Slave?

Take a look at how the jumpers are set.

example: Yours may vary from this layout but the generally have a map of the jumper settings on the drive itself.

install-ide-hard-drive-jumper.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom