New offer for Tech II job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericd

Solid State Member
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to the forum so be nice >.<'

I currently work for a school district as the Network technician/manager and the PC Tech. I manage the network of 10 buildings. (roughly 1500 computers)
I get paid 15,800 a year. (yeah, i know)

I just got an offer from another district to be the Tech II person just at the high school for 30,160 a year. Almost doubling my money for doing less work.

The problem: It's 2 hours away from where I currently live. My family lives where I am currently. My sister lives where I would be moving to (which is a good thing). Also, I would have to dodge out of this job that I am currently at. It's my first year doing this job....and now I'm only 6 months into it...but if I don't take the other, somebody else could possibly take it and I'll be screwed.

What would you guys do? Double your pay and move there? Or stay here.

Or get a better matchede pay.. But frankly i go for it too. Is it a start in 2 weekds thing?

No, this is what the Technology Director told me. "If the interview is good, at minimum at least a week from the interview date. As far as maximum amount of time, however long it takes the person to transition out of their previous job."

I might also add that I'm only 21. I think that is a good salary for a 21 year old. Also, the technology director said that I would most likely be able to move up to something like Systems Administrator in 2 to 3 years. But they usually hire people in at Tech level.

At your age there is nothing holding you back. Nothing better than experience and nothing better than getting paid better for it. I know many very well qualified people that would love to have an offer like that.

Definitely go for it. I doubt you could ever see that much money in years or decades to come with your current employer, so imagine what you could see in years to come with a base pay like that. And like Hefe said, nothing better than experiencing new things and getting paid for it. I did it and am very happy I did. Actually looking forward to doing it again in March :D

I kinda feel like a jerk leaving in the middle of the school year. And leaving them all together. Ya know?

I guess I can't let those feelings get in the way.

Got to think about number one. Any employer would understand someone making that move. If you want tell them about the offer to see if they want to match it .

I kinda feel like a jerk leaving in the middle of the school year. And leaving them all together. Ya know?

I guess I can't let those feelings get in the way.

Yeah I hear you, but again like Hefe said it's you who matters here and making decisions to better your present and future is definitely not selfish. They will find a hundred qualified people in line for the job you leave. Being offered a job that is twice your current salary is rare, seize that opportunity while you can, because you can bet there are 100 other qualified people for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom