Ima get me some Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Aight folk. Hanukkah is just around the corner and I think I deserve to get myself a gift.

I currently have a 500GB internal Seagate 7200.10 32mb cache, which I backup to a 500GB Seagate external. I'm in need of some more space.

So I'm thinking about getting 2 1TB internal drives. I refuse to have any data not backed up because I would cry if I lost all of my stuff. I have a few extra hdd bays and sata ports, and I never unplug my current external drive, so I see no reason not to backup to an internal drive.

I'll probably keep my OS and programs on my current 500gb internal and move my videos, music, and pics to the 1TB drive (backing up to another 1TB drive).

My Seagate isn't too loud, but I wouldn't mind if it were a bit quieter, so I was thinkin about going WD this time.

I see that these are $85 w/ free shipping right now: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Is it ok to go with the Green line if I'm just using it for data? If I decide to install my OS and programs on it later, will it run slower?

$25 (x2) difference to get the Black ones... Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive

This Samsung one is $85 (no free shipping :( ): Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Any other recommendations? I'm also not set on my idea of getting 2 1TB internal drives if anyone else has a better idea given my current situation.

Thanks in advance

green series is fine for backup purposes, I run a 500GB myself

it might be a tad bit slower than the black if you use it as OS drive

Wouldn't it be better to have your backup on external drive so that if PSU goes poof, its not connected powerwise to the backup hdd? Thats just my hunch, no real evidence for it.

Also you may want to consider rebit back-up software in tandem with an external drive.
Review here Perfect Consumer Backup With Seagate And Rebit : Is Seagate?s Replica The Perfect Backup Device? - Review Tom's Hardware

Im gettin the standalone software for x-mas, going to pair it with my own external hdd i bought separately.

Is that true? Does the fact that it's running through the same power supply matter for backup purposes? If that's the case, then maybe I should be getting an external for the backup drive.

Yeah I thought that anything connected to a PSU that fails is at potential risk of failing also including hard drives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom