My Complete Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like a really nice budget case. I watched the review and was impressed!! The only problem that I foresee is there might not be enough space for the monster radeon 5000 series card. I may be wrong , but it's worth mentioning.

oops, my bad

I forgot those HD 5000s are even longer than the GTX 200s
won't fit a HD 5970 OP wanted

Here are a few good coolers

Thermalright Ultra extreme 120

Cooler Master V8

Noctua NH-U12P

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer
For the Sunbeam: Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 retention bracket

I would go with the Sunbeam (the most proven one) , but be ready to have problems with installation. I have seen lots of reviews where people either give up trying to install it , saying it won't fit (it probably does , but they are too impatient) , or they fear breaking something on their motherboard from forcing things. At least now you know where to go in case you have problems , though!! :thumbsup:

As far as cases , you should get a full-tower. The 5000 series video cards are huge. Something like this : Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The 5970 video card is overkill (in my opinion) unless you are going to have 3 monitors running something like Crysis on enthusiast settings. I personally would spend the extra dough on your monitor. Maybe something like this : Newegg.com - Acer B243HLbmdrz Black 24" 5ms Widescreen White LED backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 8,000,000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors I mention this one because it's backlighting is via LED rather than fluorescent bulbs. This saves lots of electricity , is cooler , provides darker blacks , and less backlight bleeding.

Otherwise , you can't go wrong with a Samsung 24"

I'm looking through those options for a cooler. I've been recommended the V8 by several people, so I might make the switch back to that. Would that provide enough even with overclocking?

I'm also looking at ways to get similar performance to the 5970 and maybe save a few dollars. I know it's a little overkill in the performance arena. But I'm looking at it as an investment in future proofing my system that much longer. The 5970 should be able to hang for a couple years. Unless I can find some amazing deal on two 5870's. Those two cards, running together, would outperform the 5970. Or at least stay with it...But I just don't see any sales like that, happening any time soon.

Yes , all of the large aftermarket heatsinks are made for overclocking. If you aren't overclocking , the stock heatsink is good enough. Currently there isn't anything that even comes close to the performance of the 5970. I have even seen benchmarking tests that show the 5970 beating 2 5870's in crossfire. This may or may not change with maturing drivers.

I would advise against that SSD. It's cheap for a reason apparently. Uses a J-Micron memory controller which have a lot of problems from what I've read. Also the read/write speeds are nothing to write home about.

Go with the new 40gb kingston SSD, that uses an Intel memory controller. Newegg.com - Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/40GB 2.5" 40GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks 40gb is enough for an OS, which is pretty much the best use for a SSD right now. The only thing a SSD will speed up is loading times for other programs, like the loading screens in games. I'm running a 500gb WD black, and crysis warhead is the only game I've played that had loading screens that made me a bit impatient.

Updating my build...

Changed out monitor for a samsung.

Changed our logitech keyboard and mouse for razer products.

Changed out case for Haf 922. Will have to figure out if everything will fit into this case.

Also went with the V8 cooler. Have read some good reviews with using it while overclocking.

Saved myself about $300 with those changes.

I would advise against that SSD. It's cheap for a reason apparently. Uses a J-Micron memory controller which have a lot of problems from what I've read. Also the read/write speeds are nothing to write home about.

Go with the new 40gb kingston SSD, that uses an Intel memory controller. Newegg.com - Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/40GB 2.5" 40GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks 40gb is enough for an OS, which is pretty much the best use for a SSD right now. The only thing a SSD will speed up is loading times for other programs, like the loading screens in games. I'm running a 500gb WD black, and crysis warhead is the only game I've played that had loading screens that made me a bit impatient.
More reliable and cheaper. I like the way you think. :cool:

Perhaps the motherboard gods can help me out with this next question. Do I "need" that motherboard? Would there be another motherboard out there that I should be considering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom