Lets talk video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakebird

Baseband Member
Getting new parts in January, need advice on a new video card. Should i wait for the gtx300? if so, when is it supposed to come out? any other suggestions on what to get before then?

Thanks guys!,
-fakebird

I'm waiting for the Nvidia 300 series for a few reasons.
1) Nvidia isn't going to release a "New" card that doesn't outperform it's previous Top of the Line card.
2) I think the new ATI cards are going to be replaced with another new version sooner than most people are expecting, much like Nvidia did with the 9000 series of cards.
Here's my reasoning. ATI released the 5870 and it is easily keeping up with the GTX 295 in most benches and it's close in the ones the GTX 295 is winning. The GTX 295 is a Heat Monster and Driver Performance is already Max'ed out or very close to it and it's only a DX10 card. So it is easy to expect the 5870 to improve in Performance as Driver Development ages. So why has ATI already released the 5970? Just to beat the GTX 295 soundly? I don't think it was necessary to do so and what are they going to do when the Nvidia 300 Series is released? I think they already have or they are very close to a new and improved version of their current gpu's and they are just waiting on Nvidia. So I'm waiting 2 :D

Idk, have they ever done something like that before?

The gtx 300 cards are supposed to come out sometime near January anyway, so you might as well wait. Expect to pay a lot for them though if you do end up deciding you want them.

hmmmm well since im going to be buying this probably jan 1st or 2nd should, what would you guys suggest? Im only going to be playing WoW and 1.6/source on it so its not like i need something to run 24i3104981094 copies of crisis or anything. i just wanted something i could run my older games on all high settings with a VM and movie going at the same time with no lag.

Idk, have they ever done something like that before?

It didn't take them very long to release the 4000 series after they 1st released the 3000 series.

Edit: @ fakebird

The ATI 5870 is a very nice card and it is the card of choice at this moment in time, in my opinion :D

It didn't take them very long to release the 4000 series after they 1st released the 3000 series.

Edit: @ fakebird

The ATI 5870 is a very nice card and it is the card of choice at this moment in time, in my opinion :D

Any nvidia cards that could compare?

The Gtx285 is Nvidia's top-of-the-line single gpu card, which the 5870 out performs. The Nvidia gtx295, which has two gpu cores on it's one board, is pretty close to the 5870 in performance.

The Gtx285 is Nvidia's top-of-the-line single gpu card, which the 5870 out performs. The Nvidia gtx295, which has two gpu cores on it's one board, is pretty close to the 5870 in performance.

does the 5870 have two cpu cores?

No, the 5870 only has one gpu. The 5970 does have 2 gpu's, but it also runs hotter and produces more heat because of it (and it costs alot more 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom