Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Gaming PC needed--Build or Buy

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Gaming PC needed--Build or Buy

I manage to drive down the cost to $1,269.99 total including shipping but not taxes. I've decided on the 9GB DDR3 Tri-channel RAM config, the i7 920 CPU, and the 1.8GB Geforce GTX 260. I thought about RAID0 config but decided not to deal with the hassle for a small % gain. The price also includes Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I've decided to wait two more weeks to order this, but hopefully prices won't change that dramatically. I may upgrade the video card to something better down the line, but the CPU was a big decision. The i7 950 was a hefty $300 more for a mere performance gain. THere are new lines of CPUs coming out but I don't want to play the waiting game anymore. I've waited long enough. That's the computer world for you. As soon as you get something, there will always be something better and faster coming out in a few months. Oh well, what can we do right? Unless you have tons of money to spend.

I chose the higher RAM count because my laptop was spiking near 4GB for a period of time while I have my programs open. I'm sure 9GB will give me plenty of headroom for intense game playing, recording studio, and running Adobe Premier at the same time side by side.

Overall, pretty good for the price? I also included memory card reader, a 750GB SATA 3Gb/s drive (may consider the Raptor drive), and Dolby Digital sound integrated on a 7.1 surround soundchip on the motherboard.
Today is yesterday's future....

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.