OC'ing Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
I think I'm gonna go for AMD for my next build, it's either the prospect of a PII quad core or an i7 and I don't want to have to buy new ram on top of an already high priced proc and mobo. I'm gonna go with this chip
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
I figured it isn't worth the price of a 960 if I'm just going to OC it and I won't get much more head room out of it. As far as boards go, I'm a little stuck. I'm down to 4 boards, and need some advice.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

From what I've seen the M4A79 has the highest clocks achievable out of the 4, and I don't really need to worry about a super high FSB obviously, I'm just worried more in terms of voltage options. My last couple boards have been fine on the FSB side but just dropped the ball on voltage options.

So if anybody can offer more insight onto which board I should end up getting mucho appreciato.

I have the GXE version of the TA790, I haven't overclocked it though, sorry I can't help you there. I've been wondering how it would hold up though.

The TA790GX held the WR for the PII x3 720 for a while when it came out, but I would think there have been better boards made for overclocking these chips since then. I have it now but I'm not sure whether it's a temperature problem (~30c??) or the mobo for me not being able to get a really nice OC out of my chip. Hikari has the same mobo and got great clocks on his 720, he might be able to give you some insight on the board.

I've heard really good things about the gigabyte board, and I like gigabyte boards, I loved my old ds3r I got from b1gapl. Thing was a champ, put 2v through a celeron d 430 :) But from what I've heard the 790FX chipset is for more high performance over the 790GX or the 790X. So I'm just wondering if either of the Asus boards would give better OC'ing control than the Gigabyte.

And yes ^ the 790FX NB is the top dawg..

790fx
790gx
790x

Gigabyte MA790gx-UD4H is supposed to be a good board.. Next-up beter-ized updated good-er model to my board I'm running now.. Hope you like resetting the CMOS a lot.. LOL.. EVERY DARN TIME it doesn't like something, I gotta reset it.. I got tired of OCing after a while.. Took a crack at it again last night and it didn't like the increase so it didn't want to POST after.. I just shut it off, unplugged it and haven't touched it since.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128384&cm_re=UD4H-_-13-128-384-_-Product

Well, your UD4P board looks good, that one's got my vote.. I'm done with Asus for a while.. This board is strangely faster than my other M4A78 Pro I was running.
Nice board but AM3 defeats the purpose of reusing his ddr2 ram.

Bah.. I didn't read that.. I saw that he was getting a 955 CPU, so I thought he was getting an AM3 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom