Gaming Monitor vs. Design Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenschX

Baseband Member
All this talk about monitors...I learned a lot. But now it's my turn. Christmas presents are bought, and I need a new monitor. I am still using my old gateway, and due to warranty this is my 3rd gateway monitor that is about to die. [never will buy nother gateway again]

anyway, I know what to look for in a gaming monitor now, but I do not know what to look for in a monitor used for photoshop. Graphic design, and photo editing. Not so much print at the moment. Font display is a big problem on my gateway monitor right now even tho win 7 fixed a lot of that.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, but they this is paying my bills so if I need to, so be it.
I did look at the dell ultrasharp 2410, but that sucker costs over $500.
Does have 1.07Billions of colors tho...which I didnt' even know exists.

Really tho, that's about as much as I am willing to spend...and if I can have the same quality for less...please tell me.
not even sure if the dell is a good choice. I am just poking around and that's what I found.

The Dell UltraSharp? U2410 Monitor with PremierColor technology

Basically, just look for an IPS panel
You could settle for an MVA/PVA panel if you can't afford an IPS, but do your best to avoid TN panels if you need it to be able to produce lots of colours (TN's , being only 6-bit, can only produce a maximum of 262,144 colours. They try to emulate more with dithering or rapidly switching between colours, but the result will never be the same as an 8-bit non-TN panel)

Easiest way to tell if it's not a TN panel is by looking at the viewing angles; TN's can't do 178º viewing angles.

Anyway, I have seen that particular Dell monitor before. It's probably about as good as you'll get for it's price.

Basically you can't get a good design monitor for less than that. There are very few IPS or VA 24" panels these days,about 95% of them are TN panels which as Apok said aren't any good for anything except gaming.

I have the larger and slightly older version of that dell the 2709. It can tell you this one is very good. Colours are vibrant without needing heaps of brightness, viewing angles are far far better than any TN, the design is quite nice and simple. Your just paying for the panel really. TNs are very cheap, any of the good panels aren't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom