Upgrading a Dell Dimension 3100 (E310)

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a related note sort of.. Can you use windows xp video drivers in windows 7 for a card that doesn't support aero?

Won't work, mikee. XP and 7 are two completely different animals.

Yes. The 5200 works but just barely. If I had it to do over, I would get a card with a little more horsepower and/or RAM on-board. If you select a card from Dell's 'upgrade' list you should not have any problems with it working with the motherboard. I believe the following URL will take you to that list;
Graphics Cards : Parts & Upgrades | Dell

As far as a driver, I believe I pulled down a vista driver down and it worked fine. I can not say for sure since I try sooooo many things to get my first choice of graphics cards, the "9400GT PCI", to work that it is all a blur to me now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Take care,
Scott

Yes. The 5200 works but just barely. If I had it to do over, I would get a card with a little more horsepower and/or RAM on-board. If you select a card from Dell's 'upgrade' list you should not have any problems with it working with the motherboard. I believe the following URL will take you to that list;
Graphics Cards : Parts & Upgrades | Dell

Hello and thank you for providing that link. I might go for the Radeon X1550 256MB instead, which has win 7 drivers for download.

What do you mean by "horsepower"? Is there anything I should go by other than RAM?

Thank you,
Emil

Won't work, mikee. XP and 7 are two completely different animals.

I did that with vista on the same computer using xp drivers and they worked but with a few minor issues. I just though it would be the same with 7, guess not.

Hello and thank you for providing that link. I might go for the Radeon X1550 256MB instead, which has win 7 drivers for download.

I just realized something. Dell recommends a card called "VisionTEK Radeon x1550" and I just found a bargain on an "ATI Radeon x1550". Will that work just the same or does it have to be from that exact manufacturer?

Thank's again!
Emil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom