i5 $700 budget rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronsonollf

Solid State Member
I'm interested in building my own rig / or buying if theres a cheap one for around $700
I'm really interested in the i5 processor.

I do not really play any graphic intense games, Left4dead 2 and COD4 are probably the two I need this rig to run smooth on.

What I want in my rig:
i5 processor
4gb+ram
a recommended video card that can help me run those games smoothly
a rw dvd drive
at least 4 usb 2.0
recommended cooling system (cheapest if possible)

doesn't matter:
HD size

Thanks a lot, this is my first post here and I hope you guys can help me.
You might've noticed I do not really know what I'm talking about so hopefully you guys can help :D

Also, I'm from Canada, so I would need to get my parts from www.newegg.ca and www.ncix.com

And, I have another question, I have a SR1930NX tower laying around catching dust at home.
It do have some decent parts that I could savage for the new PC.
Also, is it possible to use the SR1930NX case for a p55 mobo these days?

Thanks a lot :D
That build seems nice.
But I don't need an OS so that would save some money :p

Also just a question, when I buy parts, would I get supplied with the IDE connectors stuff? Or would I have to get them myself?

Thanks a lot :D
That build seems nice.
But I don't need an OS so that would save some money :p

Also just a question, when I buy parts, would I get supplied with the IDE connectors stuff? Or would I have to get them myself?

Alright, with no OS its only $18 over budget so thats good.

The mobo will come with one IDE cable (can connect 2 ide devices as long as they're close enough) and 2 sata cables. 1 sata you'll use for the optical drive, one for the HDD.

What device are you looking to attach via IDE?

edit: i also just noticed the mobo says "Memory Standard: DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800" Should the ddr3 1600 ram i recommended not be used? I never saw a speed skipped like this on a mobo.

the list of parts you linked him to are from the US newegg, he needs canadian links though. this also means that the parts will cost more.

without a case, these parts would total 697 CAD before shipping and taxes.

Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory
Newegg.ca - HIS H485FM1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.ca - Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

or you could save around 65 CAD by going with an amd cpu instead, just switch the mobo and cpu ive listed above with these instead.

Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Wow, thanks a lot for the super fast replies
I'm looking into all the parts and they look affordable.
Sorry about that bkolk, I completely forgot to state that I'm from Canada ):

Also, I have another question, I have a SR1930NX tower laying around catching dust at home.
It do have some decent parts that I could savage for the new PC.
Also, is it possible to use the SR1930NX case for a p55 mobo these days?

this one you mean?
Product Specifications Compaq Presario SR1930NX Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

if so, then it looks like it would work, but i would just buy a fan or two to put inside for airflow because im not sure if it comes with any already, you could check the one you have.

and yes you could salvage some parts like the optical and hard drives.

the mobo that it originally came with is an m-atx mobo and the gigabyte (for the i5) i listed is also m-atx , so it should fit inside. id say worst case scenario, if it doesnt fit, you can still assemble your parts w/o a case temporarily if you need to buy a new one.

I couldnt find a PSU specification in the link
Product Specifications Compaq Presario SR1930NX Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Can you see what the wattage of the power supply is inside your current computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom